Whole Chicken in a Can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
chicken-can-3.jpg

That just looks sooooo wrong

Not for me thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Mum used to keep two cans of those in the pantry when I was a kid, they got used when visitors turned up unexpectedly.......like keeping tinned ham or salmon. Put onto an ashet and into the oven to heat and roast. Chicken dinner for unexpected guests. Haven't seen them in years :D

You know for 'camping' camping they'd be a really good idea.........simmer the juice for soup and then roast the bird for the meat. No worries about it going bad until you wanted to use it :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
We used to sell them when I worked for Safeway back in the mid 70's, Epiqure brand I think. Either Dougal Haston or Don Willans talked about them in a book, I think they had one for xmas day dinner on a camp somewhere. I tried them, not impressed but would be OK as the base for a soup/stew maybe.

I may open up a tin of freeze dried pork chops next week, if I do I'll take some pictures:)

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
We used to sell them when I worked for Safeway back in the mid 70's, Epiqure brand I think. Either Dougal Haston or Don Willans talked about them in a book, I think they had one for xmas day dinner on a camp somewhere. I tried them, not impressed but would be OK as the base for a soup/stew maybe.

I may open up a tin of freeze dried pork chops next week, if I do I'll take some pictures:)

So it's real Rik !! never would have thought it. lol you live and learn mate.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do know that in the days before home freezers.......hey we were posh, we had a fridge.......mains gas powered it was too :D ........tins were the only way to have meat to hand. Otherwise it was a visit to the butcher's every day.

You know the jelly around tinned ham ? the salty/savoury stuff folks squabble over, well imagine it chicken flavoured.......it makes good soup iirc.

cheers,
Toddy

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
A fridge? certainly were posh.. :D The first house my mum and dad bought or possible rented, had gas lighting, and the fridge was a small wooden cage covered in muslin which they had to keep damp.. That was around 1947 ish I think.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
When I grew up in the sixties most folk kept milk in a bucket of water to keep it cool, and they really did visit the butcher everyday.
Your muslin cupboard kept things cooler by evaporation.....sometimes there was a gutter at the bottom of the muslin to fill with water........and kept food free from flies.

cheers,
Toddy

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Mmmm, not sure I fancy that.

Up until the early 80's my grandad was still refusing to buy a fridge. He used his celler and it was flipping freezing down there, even in summer. Dug right into the bedrock with a steam flowing through it if it rained. I still remembering him going down after lighting a candle. Scared the bejesus out of me that hole.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They used to be big enough to soak an emulsioning brush in, I do remember that :)
Good for a real 'hobo' stove :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE