Who will help when you dont return on time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I completed the Cambrian Survival Basic Course a few years back we were given something very similar to the P.O.P.
And I remember when I did the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme and Army Cadets at school we also had a form like that for when we went out into the hills.
Good bits of kit to use and very well could save your life one day!
Good thread Smarty. Thanks for the link.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My trouble is that I like to change my mind too much - enjoying the freedom of the hills - it has been known for me to spend an extra night out when things were going well :)
For more structured usage then the forms look excellent - the kind of thing our Scouts and youth groups used to complete for every hike.
The classic "rout carde" brought up to date :)

I read through that the other night. Very comprehensive, and a very good idea to leave with any number of people.
As John says though, if you change your mind halfway through and can't contact the relevant people, you may end up getting rescued whilst trying to photograph some very shy fauna. :eek:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for that Smarty, saves me scribbling stuff down on a scrap of paper for the wife when I'm heading out the door

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Ah that reminds me of route cards I had to religiously fill out as a youth - great way of really honing some of you map & compass skills.

I shall be filling one of those out later this year hopefully.

Thanks

Alex

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
We had something similar, when we did the lyke wake walk when i was a teen at college ,nowhere near as comprehensive as that though.

Thanks for the link

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
We do route cards in Scouts. We have a designated contact person who holds a copy of the route and who would contact emergency services should we not arrive within a pre-agreed timescale or contact in.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You would notify folk anyway when going up into the hills though and this form seems overly complicated to be honest, battery life etc would be absolute guess work at best as various things affect it.

I'd like to see a simpler version to be honest.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Rik, thanks for the input. I agree that some areas of the POP appear to be asking for a lot of detail. That ties in with its use as a planning tool. By knowing the weather conditions expected, and the manufacturer's specifications (temperature ranges etc) for the bit of kit, you can make a realistic estimation of battery life etc.If nothing else yo may consider taking spare batteries, and adding that to the equipment list. The POP is designed to be flexible and can be altered to suit individual needs.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Can now be downloaded from survivalwisdom.com with an older version at natural bushcraft, and bushcraft living. The Arabic translation and country specific changes have been agreed to so should be available here soon as well. Rik the version for here will be simpler due to the SAR coverage, mobile phone coverage etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE