Who uses wool blankets only for sleeping out?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fergus77

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2006
Portreath, Cornwall
Ok, this maybe answered somewhere else but,

How many people out there use wool blankets "ONLY" when sleeping out?
What are your thoughts on them compared to a synthetic sleeping bag for warmth etc?
Pack size?
I know thats going to be a slight problem cause all wool blankets are pretty bulky items

Just a thought as i'd like to go more tradional camping perhaps using only gear made from natural fibres ie: Wool, canvas etc

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Not only for camping out, I use two dutch wool blanket instead of a duvet, warmer and stay put, so no matter how much you move, you always are covered. At this years moot one blanket was enough to replace my 4 season sleeping bag, Ok they weigh a tonne, and fill a 35lt drybag. but car-camping they are a must.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive tried it in the past but that was in my reenactment days and the blanket was in a wartime sleeping bag(bedroll),basically a canvas envelope wool lined,and found it fine it was in Autumn never done it in the depths of winter, this year coming though im going to get a canvas tarp,and also try and make a canvas type bivi (similar to above mentioned bag) and use blankets more,why? because i fancy setting up a static type camp in my favorite spot, hopefully get one of launditchs grills and do some open camping near the fire.

Last edited:

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Camped a couple of times with woolen blankets, and use woolen blankets at home. The girlfriend knitted a fantastic huge blanket (240 x 200cm), and I was lucky to find a loosely woven soft woolen blanket which was dumped. I prefer these to the military blankets which are very tightly woven and are heavy but not very warm. They are made to last but don't give most comfort. Kephart has a better explanation in his "Woodcraft and camping".

I've used a woolen poncho as clothing and as blanket when sleeping on coal beds down to -7 degrees. Sleeping in woolen clothes (woolen pants, woolen sweater, no warm jackets) and the poncho. I used a german poncho as waterproof barrier underneath me for the rising steam. Slept til the morning without waking up. Mind you another time I did wake up, as I was about to get barbequed.

On canoe trips I've used a reindeer skin underneath and two blankets, sleeping in my clothes. I did not use any fire to heat me, and found it already close to the border at only around 5 degrees in the nights, with no breeze.

I've camped on foot with one blanket and reindeer skin using a parallel fire to heat me. In nights of 0° it was too warm so used the blanket as a pillow. Waking up every few hours to fuel the fire.

What I found from my limited experience is that camping with woolen blankets is perfectly possible all year round if:
-camping in forested areas where (big) fires are allowed
-you have some way of transporting enough blankets to keep you warm (car, canoe, pulka, pack animals)

I really enjoy sleeping next to a parallel fire with a blanket, but it's not allowed in most places..

Sleeping in the tipi we lived in in Sweden we just used two Nanok Endurance -10 zipped together, and extra blankets inside when required. Much more comfortable then just blankets and the nanoks are very durable and cheap as well (in comparison to down sleeping bags).

PS: Why not use a down sleeping bag if you want to use natural materials? Some make their own with cotton instead of synthetic cloth. Using down from extremtextil.de you could end up with a quite light bag, much lighter then a canvas and blanket combo.

Last edited:

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I did once. It was a dark and cold night, my daughter (then 5) thought it wise to eat charred marshmallows... couple of hours later the semi digested stuff was all over her sleeping bag. Cleaned her up, put her in my bag and guess what, I had a blanket in my car (Dutch army). Wrapped myself in, following the advice of: http://nwwoodsman.com/Videos/WoolBlanket.html and had a great sleep. Plan is to do it more often.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I bought several nice wool blankets very cheaply at a thrift shop, and have used them when hot-tenting with my dog because:

1. The woodstove can keep the tent very warm, and

2. I don't want the dog damaging/dirtying my good sleeping bags.

What's underneath me makes more of a difference regarding comfort than what's on top in those circumstances.

The old-timers who used wool blankets often shared them and "spooned" each other for warmth. I have a book that describes how civil war soldiers had to coordinate rolling over. We modern campers tend to appreciate more personal space.

fergus77

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2006
Portreath, Cornwall
Interesting comments people have about using them in differant situations.

Again, weight and bulk of blankets seem to be a problem unless you have access to a car, horse etc etc
otherwise it just makes sense to carry a sleeping bag.

I might get one of the dutch army jobs somebody mentioned and give that a go.

Stooboy, what a great link, fantastic post that one

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I love wool blankets and used one instead of a quilt on a 'minimalist' trip a few weeks ago. About 4 times heavier than my quilt and about 1/4 as warm, but I do love wool!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE