Who lives in a burrow like this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Without actually seeing a critter run into a burrow is there any way to identify who lives there? Obviously size would be a clue but I've seen holes dug by rabbits the same size as badger sets.

This is a photo of the latest one I've found in my woodland and it looked quite fresh with fresh leaves near the entrance, so I think it's in use. I have seen rabbits about but I also know there are foxes and badgers in the area and even the odd large wild cat. :yikes: Thankfully the Opinal's mine placed for scale and it's 11cm long.

hole1.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There will always be hairs around the entrance. You just need to locate a few of these and then you will know for certain.

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
Without actually seeing a critter run into a burrow is there any way to identify who lives there? Obviously size would be a clue but I've seen holes dug by rabbits the same size as badger sets.

This is a photo of the latest one I've found in my woodland and it looked quite fresh with fresh leaves near the entrance, so I think it's in use. I have seen rabbits about but I also know there are foxes and badgers in the area and even the odd large wild cat. :yikes: Thankfully the Opinal's mine placed for scale and it's 11cm long.

often a rabbit has several tunnels most not to big
a badger as often more tunnels but no small ones
a fox has normally one or two tunnels but often uses a old badger tunnel or even a rabbit tunnel

try and look for tracks, hair, poo or remains of a food source
they can help you along

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've looked for other signs and I can't find many, normally with rabbits you can find areas where they leave their droppings but it's not easy to spot here as there's roe deer droppings about that look similar. Also there's not that many rabbits about, just the odd one. I'll have a closer look in case I've missed anything. There's also another hole nearby and in other banks there's the odd hole - I'm thinking rabbits are just moving into the area?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Do fox dens have a noticeable smell? Unfortunately I'm very aware of the smell of foxes from their antics in our garden but I don't know if they scent around their dens in the same way. There's no noticeable smell around these holes.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Do fox dens have a noticeable smell? Unfortunately I'm very aware of the smell of foxes from their antics in our garden but I don't know if they scent around their dens in the same way. There's no noticeable smell around these holes.

i think that generally a fox would scent mark only the boundaries of it's territory, and i wouldn't expect it's den to be right on the boundaries so i wouldn't expect to get any scent marking around the entrance to it's den (earth?). having said that, i may be completely wrong, i often am.

stuart

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

A fox earth will absolutely reek of fox. They are bad house keepers and if you know the smell of a fox, you won't miss it if it is residing in that hole.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i think that generally a fox would scent mark only the boundaries of it's territory, and i wouldn't expect it's den to be right on the boundaries so i wouldn't expect to get any scent marking around the entrance to it's den (earth?). having said that, i may be completely wrong, i often am.

stuart

A fox earth will absolutely reek of fox. They are bad house keepers and if you know the smell of a fox, you won't miss it if it is residing in that hole.

see, i told you that i'm often completely wrong:rolleyes::lmao:

stuart

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'd go with rabbit from the size. If it's just the one hole there it's probably not for permanent residency, more for laying up.
Is there grassland or open fields close by?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Looks like rabbit then, as there's no smell. There's another hole a few feet away and on the other side of the bank there's a couple more I think but they didn't look used to me. The one in the photo seems to have a fresh pile of leaves gathered by the entrance. They are next to a area of young woodland, so there's still plenty of grass and vegetation about for them. I'm a little nervous as I've been planting some more trees but I have used guards on them and love rabbit stew.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Looks like rabbit then, as there's no smell. There's another hole a few feet away and on the other side of the bank there's a couple more I think but they didn't look used to me. The one in the photo seems to have a fresh pile of leaves gathered by the entrance. They are next to a area of young woodland, so there's still plenty of grass and vegetation about for them. I'm a little nervous as I've been planting some more trees but I have used guards on them and love rabbit stew.

Those holes should all be interconnected. They don't necessarily use all the entrances, but will certainly use them as exits in an emergency.
Crack tha ferts out mister!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE