WHO LIVED IN A NEST LIKE THIS?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Some big trees have gone down locally with the storms over the year. One big beech fell and exposed what I take to be a nest. Anyone have any idea what would have lived in it. I don't know if the black bits were owl pellets??IMG_8788.JPG

IMG_8790.JPG

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We have many species of owls here and mice are a very common prey item. The pellets coughed up by these owls are spit on the ground outside the nest. They are clearly a mix of bones and essential prey fur. I don't see that.

Is it possible that those pellets are from an occupant who was not the original nest builder?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It’s more than likely a pigeon nest. No fecal matter and prey mess/pellets for it to be a raptor or owl, which they leave in masses. Those brown bits are just fungal pieces. You can see them growing up the inside of the tree in that picture. Definitely not pellets of any kind. I’d say it hasn’t been used though.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We get a lot of woodpeckers around here, they too nest in hollow trees. They seem to prefer tight narrow opening up cracks as the entrance though.
Could you work out from the bits what kind of shape the original entrance was ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE