Who doesn't use an underblanket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I've seen quite a few threads about underblankets, I'd read a bit of hammock forum (can't believe there's a devoted forum) and I've seen the group buy

I'm tempted by the group buy but frankly the cost of the underblanket is more than my sleeping bag, and seeing as the hammock has only just been acquired i don't really want to start buying loadsa extra kit. I'm reckon they're great, they certainly look it.

I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe and slept in it for the first time on Sunday night. I was really comfy and nice and warm. I used a Decathlon S0 Ultralight bag, basically a 3 season bag, and a self inflating mat.

Now I assume that when it gets cold, windy and rainy I'm going to get cold. I'm going to try teaming it up with a army issue reflective blanket thing when its cold to try and help but am wondering what other people who don't use the underblanket do when it gets cold.

I'm trying to avoid acquiring so much kit, I have a foam mat I could team up with it just in case. What do you do?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I used a self-inflating mat before I got an underblanket. In terms of performance, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that solution - it's just that the underblanket is more comfortable, and you don't end up sliding off it in the middle of the night.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I don't use one either and for much the same reasons. I have put my bivvy bag underneath me and found it OK as an insulator but I've not yet hammocked out in coldish weather yet. I've got a DD hammock and it has 2 layers that you lie on top of and I think if I put my mat and/or bivvy in between them, then leap on top of it I should be OK. If not, look out for me in the next group buy! :eek:

Cheers,

Alan

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I used a Thermarest Prolite 4 in my sleeping bag,

Then got the underblanket.

Didnt like the hammock without the platform the mat created so flogged the underblanket.

Personally didnt like it, and saw no difference in insulation even during the winter, and have gone back to the selfinflating mat option.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I am just back from a few nights in hammock, i use the DD travel hammock which has a seperate part underneat to place a mat or underblanket and it stops it from moving around underneath you. I have a 3 season nanok sleeping bag which i have used in january in -6 with snow on the ground in the hammock and found it to still be warm enough to get a decent night sleep. I find a camping mat is perfect for the job and doesnt weigh much to hinder you either. My girlfriend uses a camping mat in her hammock and ties it in the middle to stop the mat sliding about.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Never felt the need for much underlay in a hammock.
I the tropics/hot weather I welcome the coolth of a midnight breeze, in cooler weather a MultiMat self inflating mat does the biz pretty well - a slightly under-inflated coffin shaped one does not "wander" too much in the night - and on my next trip I will be trying out two Reindeer skins sewn together...should be interesting!
Some Scandi military occasionally use these hides as kipmats - first shoot your Reindeer - and the hairs are hollow making them good insulators. Early Antarctic explorers used Reindeerskin sleeping bags (I prefer to give Shackelton, not Scott as the example as Scott never came back...) to good effect.
If it came to getting an underblanket I think I would make my own - coz I like making and do not have much cash to buy things with!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just use a foam rollmat in my hammock with my army sleeping bag & bivvi bag I haven't had a cold night yet!
I almost became an underblanket groupie but had to save up for another project. I am glad I didn't buy one because for what they are the are expensive.
But from what I have gathered about the underblanket is that the guys who have got one aim not to use a sleeping bag but a blanket / quilt of some kind hence the new Quilt for the underblanket group buy!
The way I look at it (and this is only my opinion!) is that if halfway through an outing your hammock becomes unuseable for one reason or another you can still use your rollmat / self inflating mat and sleeping bag to sleep on the ground. Whereas you can't do the same with your underblanket. This of course is only a worst case scenario which would probably never happen but who knows!

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Ditto the comments about the thermarest. I think the trick is not to overinflate them or they tend to wander about. The new DD Travel hammock has a zip between the layers which helps as well. I've used a reindeer skin, which was fine apart from the odd shape and difficulty in carrying.

I've been fine in all conditions and temps down to -4C (in a Nanock -10) but if you're really worried, try a wool blanket underneath with or without the foam mat.

Pablo.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
PABLO, glad you bought up the reindeer hide, thought about getting one for my next trip but thought it maybe a bit heavy, do you know how much yours weight's? and compared to a normal foam kipmat how big it comes up?
Have been using a 3/4 length thermerest in mine and the only reason i've been cold is because i've gone a little light on the sleeping bag (1 season mtn marathon bag), but i like the idea of using a hide in the winter for a little luxury :D

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
I used my sleeping bag and a 4mm foam mat inside my bivi bag as a bed roll before i got a hammock i now use the same inside the hammock and am as warm as toast i have never used and under blanket but they do appear expensive.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have the same HH Explorer Deluxe. The main point to note about this hammock is that the wind whips through the hammock material (try blowing through it).

I think a large part of the benefit felt by an underquilt is that it stops the wind getting through. This "wind chill" is what makes a hammock so effective in a tropical climate. A thermarest or even a bivi bag will help stop this wind.

K

KenC

I seem to be a bit strange here, and don't bother with anything.

Occasionally I've had a slightly cold bum, but that's about it (far perferable to the weight/hassle/bulk of a blanket or mat IMHO). Not done "snow" in it, but have definitely had frosts in March/November in it. On the other hand, I've got a good 4 season down bag.

I have to say that I've never felt the need to buy one either.

Thermarest/ Bivi bag has always been good for forecasted conditions and if it gets really cold - I go to ground.

I can safely say that in the last 10 years, I have never woken up cold.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thermarest and occasionally bivi bag aswell for me.

Haven`t lost the mat yet during the night but I`ve dropped plenty of other things from the hammock, headtorch lighter etc. :censored: I`ve never tried a blanket though to be honest so it`ll be interesting to see what you think if you try one.

I still prefer to sleep on the floor in the old bivi bag most nights though, weather permitting of course :umbrella:

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
not entirely sure about using a bivvi bag, i don't really want to carry too much extra kit, and can't see how that helps with keeping your back warm as it will be in contact with the bottom with no air gaps

Scanker - when you say that the wind comes through the material i assume you mean the hammock material (cos the fly net is WAY too obvious :D). I'm hoping that the reflective mat might help with that, i've never seen one before, its green on one side and reflective material on the other. its got eyelets on the corners and is fairly large and much more hard wearing than the normal mylar (i think that's the name) blankets

I'm just thinking about it because it was a lovely night but to be fair a bit chilly (no clouds in the sky and a touch of breeze) so i'm wondering what happens with it really does get cold. I assume that the biggest heat lost will be through the bottom so am just wondering what I can do to stop it

I have to say that knowing so many people don't have an underblanket is somewhat comforting, I've read so many posts about it and there have been so many group buys that i thought everyone had one!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have used the theremarest and it is an adequate solution. The problems in proper cold weather are that outside your sleeping bag it can move from under you and also it can get condensation on it, wetting your bag.

Inside it creates more air space round you and I found you had to seal the bag round your face well to stop the cold air getting in and the warm air getting out. If you underinflate the thermarest so it shapes round you better i found I got cold spots at my shoulder blades as these points compressed the thermarest enough to reduce the insulation qualities.

These issues are only really noticeable at cold temperatures. At normal temperatures the main benefit of the underblanket is comfort. you have far more options open to you with no danger of you getting cold because of them. I have two group buy underblankets I use for my daughters as it means they can sleep out in hammocks even in the coldest weather and I do not have to worry that they will get cold due to mats moving etc.

I am so much of a convert to underbankets that I have gone the whole hog and got the largest, thickest down one I could get from Jacks r Better..

Expensive, perhaps but I do not do cold wet or uncomfortable ;)

xylaria

I use a wool blanket. I have never slept out in proper cold weather in hammock though. The first time I have slept out in a hammock at all was this june, and because I was worried about cold I put a reflective blanket under the wool and I cooked. I woke up sweating and had to remove the reflective blanket and then rearrange the wool.

I use the wool blanket for ground sleeping as I have arthritis in my hips, and the blanket prevents any cold from hitting the bad joints. I have tried various other methods and this provides the comfy nights sleep by far. Yes it is heavy but it gives me the best nights sleep. We (2 kids + 2 adults) are moving over hammocks from a family size tent so this is still less bulky than what we are used to.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I've seen quite a few threads about underblankets, I'd read a bit of hammock forum (can't believe there's a devoted forum) and I've seen the group buy

I'm tempted by the group buy but frankly the cost of the underblanket is more than my sleeping bag, and seeing as the hammock has only just been acquired i don't really want to start buying loadsa extra kit. I'm reckon they're great, they certainly look it.

I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe and slept in it for the first time on Sunday night. I was really comfy and nice and warm. I used a Decathlon S0 Ultralight bag, basically a 3 season bag, and a self inflating mat.

Now I assume that when it gets cold, windy and rainy I'm going to get cold. I'm going to try teaming it up with a army issue reflective blanket thing when its cold to try and help but am wondering what other people who don't use the underblanket do when it gets cold.

I'm trying to avoid acquiring so much kit, I have a foam mat I could team up with it just in case. What do you do?
I am working on a simple and warm solution. Make a hole at the foot and head of your sleeping bag and slide the hammock through. Then you have the lofting all round.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE