Spring Bullrush Shoots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
I've recently been lucky enough to gain long term camping and bushcraft permission on some secluded woodland. For a water source there is a lake and it's from there that I've been able to forage bullrush shoots for the first time. I found them to be very good eating. Easy to collect, they just needed a slight pull to to come away from the main rhizome. Extremely tender even when raw, they had a very mild flavour with no discernable after taste. I tried them raw, cooked whole over coals and finally, sliced into some nettle soup and all were fine. The main plus point over all is that aside from the actual collection there was zero processing or preparation involved before I could eat them. They came out of the water instantly edible. As the months progress I'll re-visit to try other ways I've read about of utilising the bullrush during its whole life cycle.

20220421_131456.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
They are excellent. The rhizome is very good too - full of starches that provide high carb levels. Just in case you're not aware, be careful not to pull up flag iris rhizomes by mistake; the roots and leaves are toxic.

You can get tender new shoots of reedmace most of the year too - see link below:

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
They are excellent. The rhizome is very good too - full of starches that provide high carb levels. Just in case you're not aware, be careful not to pull up flag iris rhizomes by mistake; the roots and leaves are toxic.

You can get tender new shoots of reedmace most of the year too - see link below:

I'll look out for any iris. I've added the link tip to my list of things to do with a bulrush. It's getting quite a list :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE