which ultralight tent to buy ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kieran w

Nov 16, 2013
suffolk
hi all im in need of some advice i have £100 limit and need a ultralight tent for a trip next year a would like to know what you would all recomend

cheers

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I would suggest a tipi if you can find one at that price, you've got to love the head room.

Also the coleman falcon x2

but the vango banshee may come in within your price range new, especially in the new year

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could use a tarp and bivvy combination, a 3x3 can be pitched in some clever ways to create a tent like structure.

Another option would be to try and pick up a second hand Laser Comp, Akto or any of the other 1kg 'ish higher end models.

There's a TH Laser Lite (precursor to the Laser Competition) on ebay right now for £100 with 20hrs left

TN's sister company Wild Country offer the same range of tents but in heavier fabrics, their Zephyros 1 with a few extra guy lines added would be a decent purchase.

yoko

Jun 5, 2013
madrid
I'd also go for the 3x3 tarp. basic. Silnylon is good for rain and wind, it's light. People here will make one for you im sure, in case you can't. Easy to saw. I made mine from extrem the germans. It's little more than a seam. For temperature, insulation. Enjoy the trip.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
+1 for the Zephyros I at around £99 delivered you won't go far wrong, weighs only 1.4kg and is quick to pitch

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have the zephyros 2, it is a good tent. My only bug with it is the low height. I can't at 6' 1 sit up in it. Bit of a pita when you need to cook and it's slinging it down.
Check out the luxe minipeak also.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
I've got a Banshee 200, great little tent. Quick to pitch if you leave the inner attached to the flysheet, you can just about sit up in it and comfortably fit you and your kit inside. Porch is small, but is that really a problem? Comes in at just over 2kg and if you pack it well and use the compression straps it will fit in a Bergen side pocket. It's currently what I use for weekend camps all year round.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
What do you want from the tent? I looked at the luxe earlier and it's very tempting, but I don't need another tent...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

kieran w

Nov 16, 2013
suffolk
i would like to be small and compact but the weight doesnt really mater would also be handy if it could take a beating and handle all weather

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
From what I've seen of the vango banshee and tempest, they aren't ULTRAlight. But not too heavy and seem to be quite sturdy. I used a tempest 300 in the lakes for a gale-tastic night, and it didn't budge an inch. Got it for less than £100 on a go outdoors deal.

I'd also add a vaude powerlizard to the list of secondhand stuff to watch out for. Cheaper than an akto, with plenty of space for a 1kg tent. I think you'd be lucky to get either for £100 though, but ebay can produce some nice surprises.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
My Banshee handles wind and rain well, hasn't let me down yet. It isn't ultralight or ultra compact, but it's small enough and light enough for me. If you see it in Go Outdoors it can go down smaller than that with the compression straps. And currently under £100.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I've got a VauDe tent I've had for 20+ years and it's as good as new still. I know they're more but they don't half last and over time work out far cheaper than 'cheaper' tents that last three or four seasons. If you can stretch your budget to a Power-lizard I doubt you'd regret it.

kieran w

Nov 16, 2013
suffolk
hi thanks for a the replies
i think i have narrowed it down to these 3

vang banshee 300

vango blade 200

vango tempest 300

now just to deside which one

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
i would like to be small and compact but the weight doesnt really mater would also be handy if it could take a beating and handle all weather

If weight doesn't matter why do you need an ultralight tent :confused:.

The Zephyros and the Banshee both pack down pretty small and are sub 2kg. They can take some serious weather, and are within your budget.

kieran w

Nov 16, 2013
suffolk
well to start of with i wanted a ultra light tent but i would be happy to go up to 2kg and have the bit extra room
If weight doesn't matter why do you need an ultralight tent :confused:.

The Zephyros and the Banshee both pack down pretty small and are sub 2kg. They can take some serious weather, and are within your budget.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE