which timber for drumsticks?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've just ben asked by one of my friends ( drummer who's practising just below my room) if i could carve him a new pair of drumsticks-- does anyone know which timbers make good drumsticks?!:confused:
the old ones are made from hickory but thats hard to come by here in Korea and the only other suggestion i have is maple....

thanks!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A quick google showed the most common ones are hickory, followed by maple. Your maple should do fine if that's any indication. That said, depending on how much he's willing to spend you should be able to get hickory (or a wood with near hickory properties) by just buying an axe handle, hammer handle, etc. to carve down.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Straight grain, hard wood.

If you want to create something unusual, you can make them from bamboo, using the same technique as with Splitcane fishing rods.

First I thought you asked about which wood was the best to cook ( chicken) drumsticks on!

A quick google showed the most common ones are hickory, followed by maple. Your maple should do fine if that's any indication. That said, depending on how much he's willing to spend you should be able to get hickory (or a wood with near hickory properties) by just buying an axe handle, hammer handle, etc. to carve down.

i daresay hickory axe handles are rather hard to come by here in korea: the standard korean "" axe"" is made by bashing a lump of soft iron into a wedge shape, fashioning a round eye hole (usually of too small diameter) and inserting a round stick of questionable properties into it, lovingly held in place with a piece of rubber glove.... :yikes:

they practise only in the evening, not all day- so balsa isn't neccessary:rolleyes:

but i should be able to get hold of some oak or maple-- i'll keep an eye when i head for my next walk or bike ride!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
. the standard korean "" axe"" is made by bashing a lump of soft iron into a wedge shape, fashioning a round eye hole (usually of too small diameter) and inserting a round stick of questionable properties into it, lovingly held in place with a piece of rubber glove.... :yikes:
!

Hrnce I would never buy a Kia or Hyunday.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a Hyundai i20 :) It's taken everything a Scottish Winter could throw at it and has been incredibly reliable.
Sometimes the KISS option works very well indeed.

Drumsticks ? sycamore replaces maple for many folks, you'd probably find that in Korea/Japan I'd have thought with all the Acers there. The Aussies seem to go in for Blue Gum iirc.

M

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
We've had both a Hyundai and a Kia. My parents had used the Hyundai for years before swapping it with me for a Honda I had. We used that car for many further years and it was very reliable. We changed it for a Kia which was also a very reliable vehicle. Still prefer my Disco even though it's cost me a lot more to keep it on the road but that's just because I have a Land Rover addiction problem that gets in the way of rationality!!!

Im no drummer but would have thought it would be difficult to carve drum sticks that were exactly matched (though that may just be my carving skills :cool:). Would be easier to lathe turn matching sticks but I guess that's not an option in this case. Maple sounds like a good choice as Acer sp. grow S.E. Asia. Would like to see the finished article.

D
I'm no drummer but would have thought it would be difficult to carve drum sticks that were exactly matched (though that may just be my carving skills :cool:). Would be easier to lathe turn matching sticks but I guess that's not an option in this case. Maple sounds like a good choice as Acer sp. grow S.E. Asia. Would like to see the finished article.

I'm no drummer, either.... in fact the only "" instrument"" i can play is the fool....:rolleyes:

if I'd know where to get some i would probably carve them from dowels to save time! (no lathe available )

in the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for a piece of maple left behind from tree "" pruning"" or likewise activity (== im never cutting down life trees for my projects!)
wonder if black locust would work, too....

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Drumsticks ? sycamore replaces maple for many folks, you'd probably find that in Korea/Japan I'd have thought with all the Acers there. The Aussies seem to go in for Blue Gum iirc.

M

The sycamore we have here is a completely different species from what you have there; I suspect it's yet a third species in Korea. Might be near enough the same properties to have the same uses though.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Apparantly it's the same family as ours. It's the American 'sycamore' that's the anomally :)

M

Could well be. The last time I looked them up it seemed as if the very word "sycamore" had different meanings around the world.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Sycamore (Platanus) genus contains 10 species. Three in the United States and one in Canada. American Sycamore is P. occidentalis. The London Plane tree is P. x acerifolia which my text claims is a hybrid of P. occidentalis x P. orientalis. I'm guessing that P. orientalis is an Asian species. As my text is "Trees In Canada," it is silent regarding the rest of the genus.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The American ones that I know of,
Platanus racemosa, the California sycamore or western sycamore, and Platanus wrightii, the Arizona sycamore, don't have timber like ours. Our Sycamore has fine grain, that is food safe, easily worked.
"Sycamore is the largest of the European maples. It is a plain but attractive timber, with a white to cream colour, which darkens to a gold colour over time.

Excellent working properties - Sycamore is easily worked, can be cut in any direction and produces an excellent finish. It also has excellent bending properties and can be easily stained which makes sycamore an excellent choice for furniture and internal joinery. Traditionally in Scotland, fine boxes for trinkets and snuff were made from sycamore wood, sometimes in conjunction with dark laburnum. The spectacular wavy grained or "rippled" sycamore is generally used for making musical instruments and very fine furniture.

Clean, non-tainting properties - Its clean white appearance and smooth finish means that sycamore is ideal for use in food preparation areas like kitchen table tops, work tops and butchers’ blocks, rolling pins and bread boards (traditionally it was used for turned bowls, platters and tableware). It is also used to make rollers for textile machinery because it is both hardwearing and never stains the cloth. "

while the American ones,
"Sycamore works easily with both hand and machine tools, though the interlocked grain can be troublesome in surfacing and machining operations at times. Sycamore turns, glues, and finishes well. Responds poorly to steam bending.
Not to be confused with European Sycamore—which is actually a species of maple (Acer pseudoplatanus)—Sycamore is sometimes referred to as “American Plane” in Europe."

M

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The American ones that I know of,
Platanus racemosa, the California sycamore or western sycamore, and Platanus wrightii, the Arizona sycamore, don't have timber like ours......

Those are all new ones to me; I'm only familiar with the one RV mentioned. It's working qualities are much the same as you mentioned for the European ones.

american-sycamore.jpg

American-Sycamore-Bark.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Are you a "lumper" or a "splitter?" One ongoing argument in plant taxonomy has to with how important the differences must be in order to classify the specimens as either the same or different species. Just as you see global differences among humans, even those differences are not enough to separate populations into difference species. The concept of "reproductive isolation" (can't interbreed for several generations) is a fairly good one to set one species apart from another.
Horse x donkey = mule is a hybrid but they are sterile, keeps donkey species distinct and apart from horse species.

Thanks Toddy, I've added some notes and names in my text. I didn't want to bring up Acer pseuoplatanus!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
santaman2000, that's a totally different seed to our Sycamore.
Ours has wings :D it's called a samara, and the seed is a little green pea thing. It lasts really, really well in the leaf litter over Winter, and provides a tasty munchy to those who go looking :cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Acer_pseudoplatanusAA.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_pseudoplatanus

I was taught that the tree was introduced here by the Romans for making tableware, but the wiki thing says from the Tudor period onward, while Scottish Gaelic has a name for the tree that dates back to the 6th century.
I think it was too useful not to bring along, tbh :D

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"Multipurpose" plants of many kinds have been cultivated far, far back into prehistory.

Samaras are typical dry fruits of the genus Acer. Platanus species have ball-like aggregates of achenes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE