Which Sleeping Bag!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave-Jefferson

Apr 23, 2012
York, North Yorkshire
I am after a nice new, very warm, very comfortable and fairly lightweight down sleeping bag. I have around £200 to spend (can go over a little). The two sleeping bags I am struggling to decide against are... The Rab Ascent 900 or the Alpkit SH 1000...
What are your thoughts or are there any other bags you would recommend instead?

Cheers Dave

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
If you are looking at Alpkit - you can also afford the Pipedream 800. It's the same sort of comfort spec. as the SH 1000 but weighs a lot less for only a fwe notes more.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
go outdoors are doing a sale at the moment the rab 900 is £220 but with 20% offyou do the math you can print the coupon of there site regards dave

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Mate. GET A PIPEDREAM 800. I love my 600 it is so warm and light. It can got down to -10 and the 800 can go down to -17. They are awesome. :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Here is some info that may help you understand the temp ratings on these bad boys.

How are Sleeping Bags tested to determine their Rating?

The conditions covered when rating sleeping bags, range from the upper temperature limit that is most commonly found in the middle of summer to the lowest limit, which could be experienced in the colder season. Hi-tech sensors are used to test sleeping bags, which determine the comfort zone to allow for the best night’s sleep possible. Certain factors have to be taken into consideration when testing sleeping bags for optimal comfort. Such factors include gender, weight and level of fitness.

Women are more susceptible to the cold than men and as a result will need to keep themselves warmer. Naturally, women will have different requirements to men when it comes to choosing a sleeping bag. Some manufacturers’ make sleeping bags with the female body in mind; they feature a wider hip area and a smaller area for the shoulders. They are also on average shorter in length than sleeping bags for men.

The shape of a sleeping bag is important as the right design will retain as much body heat as possible for optimal comfort. For maximum efficiency the best sleeping bags are tapered at the bottom to prevent cold air from circulating around the feet. Sleeping bags designed for cold weather feature a cover at the top to protect the head from the cold.

Another important piece of information is the seasons rating which helps you to buy a sleeping bag for the right time of year. For peace of mind, information on the comfort and warmth of the sleeping bag is given in relation to the time of year for which it has been designed for.

What are the Temperature Ratings?

To help you find the correct sleeping bag for the desired event, a temperature guide is typically found alongside the season ratings. This means that you can buy a sleeping bag, with full confidence that it will be suitable for your needs. The EN 13537:2002 European testing standard is a guide to comfort and rates extreme temperatures. The criteria involves a measure of four temperature ratings:

Upper limit looks at the highest temperature a man can comfortably sleep without too much sweating.
Comfort: this tests the temperature at which a standard woman can comfortably sleep while in a relaxed position.
Lower limit: The temperature at which a man can sleep in a curled position for eight hours.
Extreme: This looks at the lowest temperature at which a woman can survive without risk of hypothermia.
First, you need to determine what time of year you will be needing to use your sleeping bag:
 1 season: summer
1-2 seasons: Late spring – summer through to early autumn.
2-3 seasons: spring to autumn
3-4 seasons: spring to winter
5-6 seasons: winter and mountain trekking

From globetrekker.com

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
And before you think that the discounted Rab is all that 'n' a bag o' chips just remember that the PD800 is the price of the discounted Rab. Both are highly rated and the decider may well come down to which is in stock (how desperate you are for it) and whether one has left/right or long/short options to suit.

Either way you'll be well chuffed I reckon.

Dave-Jefferson

Apr 23, 2012
York, North Yorkshire
thanks for all your comments and help it has been very much appreciated :D i did in the end go for the Rab .. there was a number of reasons why.. there was 20% off, i got it out and tried it for size and it was perfect not too big but not too snug (although you do get some funny looks trying it out in the shop... the pack size and weight was suitable and i could buy it there and then...
iv got a week off next week and looks like im going to be doing 3 or 4 days in the wilderness so we shall see how it performs!

Thanks again everyone!!
Cheers, Dave

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I went for the Alpkit SH800 and I love it. The Pipedream is quite a bit tighter I was told so if you've been a frequent flyer to McD's then it may not be for you :D

Btw, GoOutdoors have an EXTRA 15% off everything tomorrow night (Thursday) between 5 and 8pm using code NOV15

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE