Which rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AliMck

Jan 26, 2010
Surrey
I am after some advice about getting a 45-55 litre rucksack as has been advised by the course I am going on later this year. Where is the best place to go take a look and what would you recommend? Should I be trying them out and if so what do I need to be looking out for when it comes to fit?.

Thank you for your help here as there are so many to choose from.

Alison
:confused:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I would suggest going to a good outdoor shop and trying on as many rucksacs as possible to find one that suits you.

Make sure you put some weight in them to try them - a few hanks of climbing rope from the shop would do...a good shop will almost expect you to do this.

I like the Karrimor SF range, the Sabre 45 being, almost, the iconic modern bushcraft pack.

If you can find one, I would also recommend the Lowe Alpine Sting...IMHO better than the Sabre 45 as it has an adjustable back length, so can be fine tuned to suit you.

Whatever you buy, make sure the waist belt sits on your hips and is well padded as it will take most of the weight off your shoulders.

Also, remember that whatever you buy, it will not be waterproof so you will probably need a few roll top dry bags to pack your gear in (this makes finding things easier too if you buy different colour bags).

HTH,

Simon

AliMck

Jan 26, 2010
Surrey
Thanks Simon

Neither of the ones you mentioned appear to be on either manufacturers website - same but with different names more than likely.

However the Lowe ones look good so will take a trip to Snow & Rock to have a look.

Many thanks
Alison

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
If you find a bag that suits you, don't buy straight away.

Go home and browse the net, there are plenty of shops that will offer discount or reduced rates.

Tamarack Outdoors is a fantastic retailer and they have a discount agreement for Full Members of BcUK ...
http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk/

Lurch, a member here, also does a great deal (and a nicer bloke it is not possible to do business with) ...
http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/

No links to either of the above, just a happy customer of both!

Simon

AliMck

Jan 26, 2010
Surrey
Aha! Thats where the Sabre is hiding. Thanks for the sites info - very good and yes, the Sabre looks brilliant. No fussiness just good functional equipment.

Thanks
A

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Just a thought. How far do you expect to be carrying the rucksack?

Short distances from car to camp? Or multi day trips carrying everything with you? If the former, then you could get away with something at the budget end of the market that will likely last for years. If the latter, then follow the advice given by the previous posters and try before you buy. Endicotts stock the Low Alpine Sting, in DPM although, you would need to go to Exeter to try one on.

Hope this helps

Martin

AliMck

Jan 26, 2010
Surrey
Hi Martin

Yes I see where you are coming from. Early days so maybe better to stick with cheaper one that is sufficent for "car to camp". Just a case of finding one I like.

Ta
Alison

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I have an unusally long back and struggled to get a really comfy fit. Lowe Alpine did it for me, the adjustable back system really works and those heavily padded waist belts are pure luxury. I was after a saracen but RVops were out of stock for months so eventually I got a Berghaus Vulcan instead. Again, so much more comfortable for being a good fit. Even a budget pack will be substantially more pleasant to wear if the fit is right. I'd chance getting a Lowe Alpine untested just on the adjustability of the back. An old one I picked up at a car boot fits me perfectly and I adjust it to fit my kids when they come out too. Fantastic packs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE