Which Rucksack For DofE?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
A lot of the kids doing the DofE could do with lessons in how to pack their kit properly, this would help massively with the comfort of their pack

Yes, but I suspect it depends on the experience, etc of the leaders - and of course you try telling teenagers anything...:) There should be an 'options' demo/talk, as Podcast Bob suggested, but who is going to do it?

Experience might also help with the cheapest and easiest ways to lighten up. Since I took advantage of the Millets Podsac offer (still going, and there is a headsup on the Resources thread for POdsac's own website deals - great for drybags, etc, even if your not about to go on DoE!), I get their 'offer' emails. Some actually arn't that bad, and they had a 20% off DoE kit this weekend. Lots of Vango, and Lifesystems, including a small washbag for £22 http://www.millets.co.uk/s:duke/?search=duke and a Ti bowl for the same amount (which I notice has vanished from the website). £44 would go some way towards a nicer smaller sleeping bag. And Lifeventure 15L drybag for £12 when they are knocking out the Podsac 15L Ultralite drybag for £4.50 - thats taking the p....

maybe some of these outdoor retailers should be holding workshops for these people education them in lighter weight options available today?
'
I think they do have workshops, but of course we are back to 'what does the kitlist say'? and 'how much?' And of course they are not going to diss Vango, etc, and certainly not say you should buy from another store.

Perhaps if there is a local independent store, perhaps they could have a chance to talk as well, to give a different perspective.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd-bergen-rucksack
DD_Bergen_Rucksack_02.jpg

anyone tried this yet ???

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
The trouble with rucksacks for girls is that unless you pay out for a women-specific pack the backs are invariably far too long and the hip belts are straight rather than flared and the result is a pack that's at best uncomfortable.

I think it's sad that the scheme leaders at schools don't encourage kids to make their own kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE