which pellet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
It really depends on what suits your barrel... 22, .20, 1.77?

Crossman premiers, JSB exact, H&N FTT's, Baracuda

There are some very good pellets, and some very poor ones :p My advice would be to go with JSB exacts to start!

al.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
You used to be able to buy a number of pellet types in one pack, Pelpax or similar
It allowed you to do a comparison of different pellet to see which make or type your actual rifle preferred - it sure beat buying a whole tin of pellets only to find that your rifle spread them all over the place.

Ogri the trog

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i don't know JSB exacts, but apart from that i'd agree with everything that TBL has to say.

it really does all come down to the rifle that you'll be using, every gun varies a bit: depth and pattern of rifling, twist of rifling, choke, barrel length, power, expansion rates etc. (and that's only looking at the simple things) all come into play when choosing a pellet, it's a complicated science! accuracy is the most important thing whenever you're shooting at live targets, so i would say that as long as your rifle is shooting at somewhere within spitting distance of the legal limit then pellet choice doesn't make a great deal of difference in regards of "stopping power". what really matters is that you can hit the right part of the target first time every time, as long as you can do that then pretty much any lump of lead that leaves the barrel at 11ft/lbs plus will do the job (as long as you stick within reasonable ranges of course, energy dimishes exponentially with range).

happy hunting

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
You used to be able to buy a number of pellet types in one pack, Pelpax or similar
It allowed you to do a comparison of different pellet to see which make or type your actual rifle preferred - it sure beat buying a whole tin of pellets only to find that your rifle spread them all over the place.

Ogri the trog

very good point, i believe that you can still pick up these deals in airgun magazines, it could help you out a lot with choosing the right ammo for your gun, and if not then at least it's a great afternoons plinking!

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
i can get to within about within 7 yards of rabbits and i can confidently hit rabbit shaped targets in kill zones at 50-60 yards

Very impressive stalking ability try a heavy stick! As has been said the best pellet is the one that shoot the tightest group, ideally sub inch size groups thats all shots in the size of a two pence piece or smaller at all hunting ranges.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
The old .177 or .22 debate has been going for years having shot both for hunting and FT my take is they are both as accurate as each other but .177 is easier to shoot because of its flatter trajectory. This allows better shot placement at longer ranges. So for me its .177 every time IMHO.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
.20 gives the best of both worlds but your choice of rifle & pellet is then very limited. I like the Prometheus pellets - used to buy them for self assembly

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
It'd all about practice with your set up,rifle,scope and ammo.I'm in the .22 camp myself but am considering a .25 for rats and bunnies.with the right ammo and zero I can aim dead on from about 12 yards out to 34 yards with an inch kill zone.fieldcraft and patience being the other factors to a successful hunting trip.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Barracuda in a legal 12flb air rifle has a trajectory like a rainbow a better heavy pellet in .177 are HN silhouette both have to much drop off for my liking though. My hw77 which had been re-barreled with a .177 FWB barrel liked RWS super domes ,.177 Sportsmatch GC2 (No. 005) loved HN field target trophy both these guns were used for hunting and FT. My walter dominator Likes Air Arms field pellets. IMHO pointed pellets which are sold as a hunting pellet fall down on accuracy I find it better to use a dome headed pellet.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Can those of you in the UK get the bigger caliber Korean and US airguns? Some of those shoot actual cast lead rifle bullets instead of air gun pellets.

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Yes... on ticket (Fire arms cert)

9mm's fun :) if a little overkill.

9zy4id.png

Last edited:

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Ah, so over there the big bore air rifles are legally the same level as having an actual cartridge type firearm.

In the Americas, the only place that really does that is Canada and a couple of former British colonies in the Caribbean. In most places they have about the same legal status as a slingshot, even in Mexico.

Unless you order over the web or find a shop that carries them, most of the pellets available locally are the flat head type Crossman pellets you get at Wal-Mart, either .177 or .22. However, I've found that they work fine on smaller game, especially tree squirrels and birds. Air rifles or a high powered slingshot are best for harvesting squirrels out of trees, especially in a populated area. When you are shooting upwards with a .22LR (which is approaching overkill on a squirrel) and you miss, you have sent a bullet on a parabolic trajectory over a populated area. However, I have relatives in Arkansas that shoot them out of the trees with a 20ga and think nothing of it.

Of the big bores, one of the most practical for here is probably the .45 caliber Korean rifles. A careful shot can drop a feral pig or a white tail deer. I like that all you need is a cast bullet, you don't have to rely upon powder and primers which a person can conserve if things get rough.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE