which pack are you using & why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
if you havnt noticed iv got rucksacks on the mind after rethinking alot of my gear,iv spent the last month deciding and reviewing diferent packs from 20L daypacks to 100L bergens.
so i was interested to no what packs you are using and why,all answers welcome even roy cropper shopping bags;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
My day pack is MaxP Pygmy Falcon as it fits all my work kit and handling equipment in an organised way...

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

For overnighters I use a Karrimor SF Sabre 45 without side pouches, and for several days, I add side pouches and mayber a front sack for longer periods, depending on the time of year.

20-31Oct2010NorthwoodMeet2.jpg

Most of the time though, I like to keep it simple...

DSC09775.jpg

DSC09776.jpg

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm using a Berghaus Munro as my day sac.

A Berghaus Centurio with side pockets and a Berghaus Vulcan with side pockets for summer and winter respectively.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ditto the cracking set up JD. What is the front pouch, as I've just aquired a Karrimor Preditor and side pockets and fancied doing something similar.

Dunno what it is, it's just a shoulder bag looped around the rucksack and supported by the side pouch straps which hold it in place. It clips off quickly and easily should I want to use it seperately I got it on here for free. I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know who it it's made by. I use it to store my food and cooking stuff, so I don't have to go rooting through the main bag constantly.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
My first and only love, The Berghaus Vulcan....

Stayed with me for over 2 decades and never complained when I stripped her down for a night out, or when I tarted her up later on in life for a week or two away :lmao::lmao:

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
PLCE rocket pouch for day trip.

Hudson bay pack with the rocket pouch for 2 or 3 day trips. Use this cos i'm cheap and it saves having to take a sleeping bag which has limited usefulness.

65 litre karrimor munro for winter camping. Build quality is highly suspect though.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
summer day bimble sac -- Haglofs Tight Pro medium (25l)
normal day / over night sac Haglofs Rand 28 (older style)
winter climbing with bivi -- Aguille Alpine Couloir (46 +15l). Years old, mouse eaten and repaired for free and will not die

hand luggage / travel Black Diamond Covert 30l.

I've also got a custom made Aguille Alpine big sac of about 60l. It was one of the sacs they did but wit ha few tweeks. Not been used by me for years. I'm tempted to sell it but then I'd decide to go of backk packing of somewhere.

As a general rule I've got into ski touring sacs as the have a climbing sac profile but with carry a good load all day.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I use a Deuter Futura 28 as a work bag and day sack. For more serious stuff I use a Sabre 45 - usually without side pouches. I actually prefer the Deuter if I'm honest, but it has limited volume.

M

McCoy

I've got a thing for Berghaus rucksacs I think. I have a 25l a 30l a 45l and a 75l. All of them Berghaus. Each one has seen alot of use and I think the newest one is 4 years old, so they must be doing something right eh.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Golite Pinnacle. Light, rugged (compared to other lightweight rucksacks), flexible volume (effectively 35l to 60l I reckon), well thought out design and pocket system - I really like the mesh side pockets and the stretchy waist belt pockets.

For dayhikes I use a maxped jumbo, but I don't really like it, and before that I used an 18l berghaus climbing pack.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have tried so many bags it is silly. I finally came down to the Kifaru Express and E&E (I have the Late Season for over-nighters(the E&E fits this too).

I like the staves to support the vast amounts of water I carry for a family of four and two big dogs and put the weight on my hips.

On it's own
DSCF8863.jpg

With side pouches
DSCF8862.jpg

The E&E which attaches to the four clips on the front
DSCF8865.jpg

The E&E last week on a family walk
SAM_2091.jpg

Heavily overloaded

Up on the Ridgeway with hounds
DSCF1361.jpg

Brace yourself when you see the prices, and that is before the shipping and import duty. I'm glad I am sorted though and when I popped the belt buckle I asked about replacing it and they sent me one in four days free of charge. Kifaru is brilliant.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
That is a awesome pack dougster, iv looked a few times at having a kifaru pack made but i just havnt got the patience to wait for it, maybe oneday.
Cheers ash

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
i just got a 511 tactical rush 12 for my birthday, which i'm using as my edc bag, i like it cause its got a lot useful pockets for organising my stuff and its hard wearing, plus its got more room than my old bag which would baloon if i put a change of clothes in it, this one obviously doesnt
298552_10150758042255252_660210251_20440593_2703687_n.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
osprey kestrel 38 (green and grey) for overnighters of a more technical or non bushy activity.
lowe alpine strike (dutch dpm from endicotts) with or without side pockets for bushy or shooting.
berghaus crusader for bigger stuff.
Large alice pack for fishing gear.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
tesco 35l for 1 to 3 days out trotting about, plce long back for longer trips augmented with side pouches depending on what's going,fjallraven shoulder bag vintage messenger thingy for day trips and the odd night with a blanket slung over it, sometimes a tiny 15 or 20 litre karrimor sack for very light nights outs,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE