which one would you join

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
hi everyone
i want to do some volinteer work that has some connection to survival skills.
i have to options the ACF Army cadet force, or the scout. iv never done any of them as a child so dont know what skills i would get out of them, which one would you join and why?

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
To be honest I don't think the ACF is likely to be too hot on survival skills. It will of course depend on the unit you join but the vast majority are pretty rigidly focussed on the syllabus, which doesn't really include much in that respect. As I say it will depend on the unit, and they do vary quite a lot.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was a Wattant holder for 15 years and also a civvi instructor to the ACF teaching "survival" skills...I found that I had more leeway to teach bushcraft type skills in the Scouts, but that could just be a local thing...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
hi everyone
i want to do some volinteer work that has some connection to survival skills.
i have to options the ACF Army cadet force, or the scout. iv never done any of them as a child so dont know what skills i would get out of them, which one would you join and why?

What about the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme? I believe that there are options for including a 'Mountain Leadership' course in the later stages.

I met several 'D of E' people in Namibia who were on an extended trek across the southern bush having just spent several months helping to build a water pumping station.

:)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I spent 9 years as an ACF Officer and NEVER did any survival type training. Everything is focussed on syllabus and D o E Award.

I did enjoy my time with them and gained quals in shooting, pyrotechnics & supervising field craft training and assault courses.

I have now been out for 8 years, but recently took a group of kids from school for a weeks residential with my old colleagues from the ACF. My old Major said that everything has been killed off by paperwork & risk assessments - e.g. just to get an air rifle out, you have to be range qualified and submit a RA 8 weks in advance now!

On the other hand, I am now a Scout Leader and have recently completed my adult training. We have had 4 camps this year so far - one of which was a backwoods style - no tents, cooking over open fires etc.

Both organisations do a sterling job, however I would say Scouts for a more bushcrafty type.

Just my thoughts.

Simon

I'm a Scout Leader and our programme is definately more focused towards the outdoors than ever before.

I run a Forest School course for the Scouts over an eight week period come rain or shine in local woodland and it's all bushcraft related. This year we ran it with both younger sections, we had six year olds able to whittle sticks for marshmallows (Using potato peelers) and light cotton wool with firesteels.

For the older Scouts we finished up this years school with an overnight in the woods under their own shelters.

Scouting rocks!!

As a collective group on this site we all have a lot to offer to Youth organisations in particular.
I am a DoE Award Group Leader as well as a Scout Leader. I can assure you that any of these organisations will bite the hand off anyone offering to come forward and assist with a programme. The beauty of these two are that you can offer to instruct / deliver specific inputs for a period of time without signing up as a full time contributor.
Both the DoE and Scouts have badges / programmes that cover bushcraft / survival skills. They also have skills based sections that let young people learn new skills so for all those carvers, willow workers, leather makers etc, etc it's the perfect excuse to give something back and have a lot of fun doing so!

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I've been a Scout leader/helper on and off for 10 years. I couldn't comments onf ACF but in the scouting movment they would love to have more people who can tear the art of bushcraft.

I was a little upset when they choose Bear Grylls over Ray Mears for the Chief Scout. Ray embodies the ideas of Scouting, so if you are on Ray's line of thought, I think Scouting would suit you down to the ground.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
As someone who was an Army Cadet man and boy, I think a total of just over twenty years it saddens me that this thread confirms my own conclusions in the first post. The ACF has over the years got lot of benefits out of being a part of the MoD, but sadly it now means that its in the front line of every piece of government red tape.

I must admit that I left because the paperwork had taken all the fun out of it. I don't know where you are in London, but my last unit was in SW London. I'll still say though that if you had the right detachment commander you could do a lot of survival/ bushcraft in the ACF. But sadly it's a rare thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE