Which natural remedies for a sore throat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Hey all,

The last couple of days I have a pretty sore throat, and I was wondering if any natural remedies such as plants, would help the curing process.

I know that tea pine nettles is pretty good (contains lots of vitamin C) but I was wondering if there are more easy remedies ;)

Thanks!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I seem to remember something about gargling with salt water...

Just sipping cold water can help. It's absolute agony isn't it. I had a sore throat on
Friday that I thought was going to turn nasty but I seem to have recovered OK by
doing nothing.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Hey all,

The last couple of days I have a pretty sore throat, and I was wondering if any natural remedies such as plants, would help the curing process.

I know that tea pine nettles is pretty good (contains lots of vitamin C) but I was wondering if there are more easy remedies ;)

Thanks!

Did you mean "Pine Needles"? There is an historical article about them and the Vit-C content that saved explorers in the 1500's - A Native American Cure for Scurvy

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Did you mean "Pine Needles"? There is an historical article about them and the Vit-C content that saved explorers in the 1500's - A Native American Cure for Scurvy
Yea , my bad, nettles are something different :D Thanks for the article btw :)

Gargling with salt water might help, but it's nasty :p

Already tried normal tea with honey, which works pretty OK, just need to pee pretty often now ;)

And yes, sore throats are pretty horrible...

Well, I'm off to make some more tea ;)

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
A generous teaspoon of honey, slice of lemon and a cap (not cup) full of cyder vinegar and top with hot water. Cyder vinegar is a great natural healer.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Must be something going around. I could feel my throat getting sore yesterday afternoon, and by the evening, I was in clip order! Felt pretty vile and grotty, so swigged some buttercup syrup which wasn't very effective and went to bed. Got up this morning still feeling rotten, rehydrated and went shooting with Ratbag. We rid the woods of a handful of squirrels thus saving (hopefully) a few eggs from being eaten, and I still feel a bit crap. I believe the fresh air did me a bit of good, but I didn't feel too clever when I got home!

Just typical, I said to the kids that we'd do a bit of bushcrafting this afternoon, but I really don't feel up to it. I think we'll do it next weekend!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Grate an onion and gather the pulp and juice into a small jar that has a screw top lid. Just cover the grated onion with brown sugar and leave it in the fridge overnight. By the next day you will have a rich dark brown syrup that is not only excellent for it's anti bacterial properties but actually helps soothe a sore throat.
Sounds awful, but try sooking a teasooonful of the syrup once an hour and you'll be surprise just how effective it is.

Take two leaves of feverfew, one very small head of meadowsweet flowers, half a dozen leaves of lemon balm, one of sage and pour 2 cups of boiling water over them. Let it steep for ten minutes then strain. The liquid will make four doses to be taken with hot water that has had a teaspoonful of honey dissolved in it.

Disclaimer**************
It is illegal to prescribe a herbal cure unless one is a qualified medical herbalist; I'm not, so if you use the receipt above it's on your own judgement. That said, I find it works and there ought not be anything in it that is commonly an allergen.

cheers,
Toddy

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well about a zillion years ( well 22 years ago ish)I went over the fields with my mate and he was looking for colts foot....now I dont know where he heard it from but he made a tea infusion with it, added honey and drank it, tastes like nasty but thought it helped.
Now I haven't seen it mentioned any where else do dunno.
Dave
Please not this is my same friend who currently has thread worms!:lmao: :(

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
"Nothing a sharp knife wouldn't cure"

or that's what my mom used to say to me when I told her of a sore throat.

hmmm.... /me goes away to make closer examination of my childhood.

xylaria

Grate an onion and gather the pulp and juice into a small jar that has a screw top lid. Just cover the grated onion with brown sugar and leave it in the fridge overnight. By the next day you will have a rich dark brown syrup that is not only excellent for it's anti bacterial properties but actually helps soothe a sore throat.
Sounds awful, but try sooking a teasooonful of the syrup once an hour and you'll be surprise just how effective it is.
:yuck: :yuck: That has got work!!! it sounds far too disgusting not to:D

Take two leaves of feverfew, one very small head of meadowsweet flowers, half a dozen leaves of lemon balm, one of sage and pour 2 cups of boiling water over them. Let it steep for ten minutes then strain. The liquid will make four doses to be taken with hot water that has had a teaspoonful of honey dissolved in it.
Now that sounds like a nice a brew, take away the taste of the onion :lmao:

Disclaimer**************
It is illegal to prescribe a herbal cure unless one is a qualified medical herbalist; I'm not, so if you use the receipt above it's on your own judgement. That said, I find it works and there ought not be anything in it that is commonly an allergen.
Feverfew can cause some reaction in people that are allergic the chamomile, and if you eat the leaves raw some get mouth ulcers. But I don't think you can better advice for free than Toddys:p

[/QUOTE]Coltsfoot also works and it doesn't give you thread worm. Up north you can still get coltsfoot cough sweeties

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I hope he didnt get thread worms from the colts foot otherwise he has had them for 20+ years!!!!!!!! NO just joking not sure how he got thread worms but not from colts foot.
dave

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Well, there are some pretty nasty tips mentioned above :D

Anyways, It's getting better today (had it since last thursday) so I hope it'll be gone tomorrow. If not; I'm going to try some of these things :p

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I've been as rough as a bears 'ears' over the past couple of days myself. Maybe sleeping out in the hammock last night didn't really help but a couple of beers seems to help take your mind off it :)

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
memory is a bit dodgy so best check this against another (more reliable) source

if i remember correct the ray mears episode where he is with the guys doin the RAF survival course he says something about a type of fern being good against a sore throat? think it was
what we call "eikebladvaren" wich would translate to oakleaf fern.

gettin curious now wich fern it was because i dint realy pay attention to it then.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Texas sore throat cure..
First gargle with Hot salt water.
Second and the most important. Open a pint of Peach Brandy. Throw the cap away
Drink the Pint. Smoke a Camel. And go to bed. No more sore throat. Headache maybe
but no sore throat.

PS in a severe case make that a fifth of brandy. Forget the salt water.:beerchug: :naughty: :deal:

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
judging from what i remember it might be the correct fern spamel :You_Rock_

im not sure if its smart to make tea from the roots like was suggested though, one of the uses acording to google was to expell worms.... if it makes worms look for another home it gotta be nasty :yikes:

does anyone have more/better info?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE