Which Inflatable Canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I want a canoe but don't have the room to store it or the transport to carry it; so it really DOES have to be an inflatable. Trouble is I know NOTHING about canoe's let alone inflatable ones. Can somebody do me a massive favour and recommend me one.

It will probably be used both along the canals in Manchester and on a Lochs in the highlands of Scotland (so I may have to load it with a small amount of camping kit).

Cheers Guys/Gals

Intrepid.

leon-1

Stu, this one is more a question for Song Of The Paddle, they have sections on canoes (including inflatables) that you can look through and ask peoples opinions on.

I have an inflatable Kayak, but I don't think I would be recommending it to anyone too rapidly as it's a swine to manouvre, it is subject to being blown about by the four winds and you have to fight it constantly, it has a lot of draught so is quite difficult to get going, but since it sits quite high in the water can move from one side to the other in the blink of an eye. If you are in one on a tidal river when the tide is going out you have to fight for all of your life just to stay where you are.

Having said all that I actually like mine, but I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Cheers leon but im asking here. I dont want to join SOTP. Thanks for your advice about the Kayak though. Like I said, I dont have a choice; it HAS to be an inflatable so I guess its just a fact of accepting the bad points. I would like opinions on models, strength,normal price (dont want to get ripped off), etc..etc.

I know its never going to be as good as a proper vessel but I dont have a choice.

Cheers again
Stu

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I agree with Leon about the windage on an inflatable but I like mine. I have a Sevylor Colarado and enjoy using it. I haven't used it a lot and then only on a tidal river but with no experience of a canadian canoe I can't compare it to anything. I throw it, paddles and pump(electric and manual) into the boot of the car and have it inflated and set up in 20 minutes. I have a 2 seater which would be a squeeze for 2 adults but fits me and some kit with ease, it weighs about 18kg, it comes in a bag which is a bit crappy but you'd need a bag of about 100L+ to replace it. I inflate it with the electric as much as you can then top it up with the manual one to get it to pressure. If you're going out for a while put the canoe into the water for a while, which will usually cool the air in it and reduce the pressure thus making the canoe a bit floppy take it out and re-inflate to pressure done and dusted. At this time of year you can usually pick them up a tad cheaper than the norm of E-bay. Enjoy

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
You don't actually have to join SOTP to read the reviews, although I can't imagine why you would not want to join such a friendly, knowledgeable and professional forum!

The Pakboats are good, and Ed Bassett is the man to speak with about them, reviews of the Pakboats folding canoes and Ed's contact details are in the canoe reviews sections of SOTP.

Have a look on this site too: http://foldingkayaks.org/

And this one: http://www.paddling.net/

You can read various reviews and get invaluable advice before you spend any money.

If you include folding canoes, rather than concentrate on just inflatables, you'll find that there's a lot of good choices, folders start at about 16+lbs, but inflatables are much heavier (except the Alpacka's).

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Looks like the folders are out of my price range. I was thinking of spending say £250-£300 max not close to a grand!!

The reason I dont want to join SOTP is that I dont like joining forums just for 1 post. If possible can I just get advice on crafts around this price range.

cheers folks
Stu.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Have a look at some of the inflatables sold by Decathlon, I've seen recognised brands on sale at about £135:00, and you may get a better deal at this time of year.

Decathlon keep stocks of inflatables all year round so it may be worth seeing if they've got an ex-display model, though at £135:00 for a new, boxed model, you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Have a look at some of the inflatables sold by Decathlon, I've seen recognised brands on sale at about £135:00, and you may get a better deal at this time of year.

Decathlon keep stocks of inflatables all year round so it may be worth seeing if they've got an ex-display model, though at £135:00 for a new, boxed model, you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

No, nothing at Decathlon; mainly "sit on" kayaks. Looks like ill just have to have a stab in the dark at one (yes....I know that that will puncture it), and hope its a good one.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Get yourself down to brookbank canoes mate they had a gumotex in second hand / ex display for £ 200. Its a £500 canoe and the guys on SOTP rate them well. Hope this helps.

Greg

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I do not really have much experience of inflatable canoes but know they are capable craft. there are drawbacks but these are compensated of in the transportability.

If you have not already had a look here is the direct link to the inflatable canoe reviews on SotP

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

There are only 4 models listed there so not too much to trawl through.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I do not really have much experience of inflatable canoes but know they are capable craft. there are drawbacks but these are compensated of in the transportability.

If you have not already had a look here is the direct link to the inflatable canoe reviews on SotP

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

There are only 4 models listed there so not too much to trawl through.

Cheers John. Ive seen them already but still cant figure out which to get. I think I will get myself down to the shop in Stockport the Firebreather suggested and talk to somebody.

Stu

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Got an Sevylor Tahiti HF-K79 today. With a paddle, pump and jacket it cost £170.
Now I just need someone to hold my hand when I get up the bottle to use it!!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Congratulations Stu,

If you want to read reviews of the Tahiti, here's some.

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=986

Might be an idea to join the BCU and a local club where you can practice safely.

If you join SOTP too, you can post your piccies and travels on both sites, it'll be good reading and viewing for members as bushcraft and water travel are the best of both worlds!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE