Which Hennessy Hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WelshTriffid

Jan 11, 2006
Wales
I've decided to invest in a Hennessy Hamock and was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best one to buy, a couple of my mate have recently ordered the deluxe explorer deluxe but I was wondering if its worth getting the larger hammock as I don't exactly need the extra weight requirements. Should I go for the deluxe or would the bog standard suffice?

Cheers for any help guys

J

Jamie

Hi WT

The size of the hammock depends on a couple of things

Firstly its a personal choice and depends if you want the large hammock (Explorer) for an extremely roomy sleep area and a larger fly to accomodate the larger sleep area.

The other factor, and not being personal or anything, is that of height and weight. The expedition (the smaller of the 2) is really designed for people up to about 6' and weighing in at aroound 250lbs. The explorer will take considerably taller and a weight limit of 300lbs.

Hhope this helps

Jamie

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
WT
I have an Expedition Asym and dont have experience of any of the other models but going on info I've read on other hammocking sites, unless you,re into 'Ultra-lightism' you might sacrifice a bit of durability by going for the Backpacker and at the other end... unless you really want/need the extra size/weight capacity of the Explorer models then I'd stick with the Expedition. I feel there's plenty of room in it but then I,m only 5' 4" !
Have a good look at the Hennessy site (sorry dont know how to stick links in yet!) and have a poke about on the Whiteblaze.net forum.

At the end of the day its a personal choice and as long as you make it based on you're own criteria then you should be happy.

Kev

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
A good question and one ive been meaning to ask myself as i fancy trying out using a hammock too!

WelshTriffid

Jan 11, 2006
Wales
Cheers guys, I think for the sake of an extra £20 I think I'll go for the deluxe as theres not a great difference in weight and the fabric seems to be a bit more heavy duty. Plus you'd buy a double bed rather than a single bed if you had the room wouldn't you????? :p

Descision made

Thanks Guys

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
the expedition has served me well so far, but I think a hex fly is a good purchse, in that you have more room to use. If I was buying again I'd probably go up a bit for the roomyness, but the expedition is'nt bad. Dont forget to buy the snakeskins, they are well worth it to keep things clean and compact. The only downside with a hammock IMO so far is that you need to sort out a decent insulation system for underneath you, especially in the UK. If not then cold spots are a problem. Carrymats in the hammck are a way but they do tend to slide, and bespoke underquilts are pricey.

go here to look at some ways to sort this:

http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html

it's a good site for a lot of things

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE