Which hat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
My aussie bush hat is finally beginning to fall apart, so I'm looking for another. I know Jamie had a cracking felt hat at the Reading meet, but I can't quite afford that at the moment. What I am looking at is something like the Tilley T4, does anyone have any experience with these?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Stuart said:
the tilly hats are fantastic, extreamly functional and very robust, they do seem to lack the character of leather or felt hats though

Thats the only thing thats making me wonder whether to wait a while and save a bit more, thing is I've been through two quite good leather hats in 2 years now and the Tilleys come with a life time guarantee. I also like the shape of the T4 with the longer back it offers quite a bit more protection, then theres the hidden ties... I've lost count of the number of times my old hats been blown off my head.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Rogue hats are pretty decent. I think you can get them form Unbeatentracks. I've got a Rogue Original and it's bombproof but isn't waterproof, better for hot climates. For the UK I'd probably suggest the Oily as it's totally waterproof. :)

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Lithril said:
Then theres the hidden ties... I've lost count of the number of times my old hats been blown off my head.

The Rogue 110 (suede) or 127 Ranger (oiled leather) has a chinstrap.

I also own a Tilley T3. Must admit they are good hats. Used to use mine alot for travelling as you can squish them down into a bergen/bag with few ill effects. Can't really do that with a leather/suede hat. However i now use my rogue more often as it rarely leaves my head anyway! (the curse of a bald man outdoors ...... sunburn! :D )

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
FeralSheryl said:
Safariquip have the T3 at £44.99.

If that is the price of Tilley hats you can get Akubras for less.

Aussie bush hats

I've had my akubra for about 5 years and it is just worn in now. It has years left in it. If it fits well enoough it won't blow off and if anything they get more snug with wear.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
FeralSheryl said:
I'm sure you can get them cheaper elsewhere. The site looks expensive to me.

I wasn't trying to put you down just that people think Akubras are expensive (if you buy them in the UK they are) but they can be ordered direct from OZ for a lot less than people think. :D

Both have pros and cons. You can't stuff an akubra into your bag or use it as a seat but IMO tilleys don't look anywhere near as good.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
tenbears10 said:
I wasn't trying to put you down just that people think Akubras are expensive (if you buy them in the UK they are) but they can be ordered direct from OZ for a lot less than people think. :D

Both have pros and cons. You can't stuff an akubra into your bag or use it as a seat but IMO tilleys don't look anywhere near as good.
No offence taken. It didn't even cross my mind :)
Pros and cons are what it's all about innit :)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
tenbears10 said:
If that is the price of Tilley hats you can get Akubras for less.

Aussie bush hats

I've had my akubra for about 5 years and it is just worn in now. It has years left in it. If it fits well enoough it won't blow off and if anything they get more snug with wear.

K now you've gone and done it, that works out at $46 delivered, and theres me trying to be good...

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have both Tilley T4 and Akubra hats...I think they both are top kit. The Tilley is a bit easier to care for as crushing, washing, stuffing are all just fine. The Akubra is a bit more styling though. Both are excellent choices....just different.

sawyerglacier13721vk.jpg

unknowcal14438lc.jpg

Akubra Lightning Ridge
akubrakelly71893dk.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE