Which first aid kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Hey everybody

Yesterday while i was chopping up some wood for my fire i managed to draw my knife (dont ask how ) along my finger and nearly cut the tip off causing it to bleed profusely!

I'd post some pics but for some reason i "may not post attachments".

Luckily i always carry some heavyduty band-aids and disinfectant tissues in my backpack so after awhile i was able to stop the bleeding and continue my little excursion.

It could have been much worse, so i was thinking about what first-aid kit you guys normally carry and recommend?
Im not interested in expedition/mountaineering/group-leader kits, but more like something for the solo trekker who's max a days walk from the nearest hospital.

Ive seen this here at Heinnies: http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=124&catname=Light & Fast&prodname=T#

Any good?

Ideally it should be light, compact and have something for stopping bleeding, taking care of blisters, relieving insectbites and so forth. Anything i missed?

What do you guys recommend?

Regards and thanks
Mads

wistuart

Jul 15, 2008
Scotland
I'm not familiar with the kit you linked to so can't comment on it specifically, but most small first aid kits should contain roughly the same basic components.

Given that you will be carrying it outdoors I would try and go for one that is waterproof if possible or failing that pack the contents in small ziplock bags.

Few kits will have everything you need so make sure you get one with enough space for a few additional items, though not so large that you might be less inclined to carry it. I have supplemented my kit with a blister kit, tick tweezers, antihystamine tablets, Ibuprofen, rehydration salts and anti-diahorea tabs.

Don't forget that you can also improvise if needs be. Makeshift bandages can be fashioned from strips cut from your clothing as a last resort. Although they are not sterile the most imprtant thing is to stop the bleeding - any infection to the wound can easily be dealt with once you make it back home and get proper medical aid.

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
If you haven't already, do a First Aid course. You'll then be able to build your own kits based on risk and location. I have several - one at the allotment with a few wound dressings but more plasters as a cut thumb is most likely, one each in cycle pannier and work bag with gloves, face shield for resus, and wound dressings as I'll likely be attending someone else, one in my everyday walking bag with mostly wound dressings as a substantial cut is most likely when messing about in the woods, the home FAK, etc, etc, etc.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah, seriously, go on a first aid course. You will surprised how these skills are needed day to day. On the trail, things are very much different and what you learn may very well be the difference between panic and calm... day ruined or day - story to tell, or even life or death. I find Lifesystems FAK to be excellent, then you modify them for personal choice. Brilliant kits.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
An ideal individual FAK contents would include
1 x pr Latex examination gloves
2 x triangular bandages (can be used as sling but also broadfold bandage or padding)
1 x small ambulance dressing
1 x medium ambulance dressing
Pack of assorted plasters (can be cut into strips for butterfly stitches)
Safety pins
1 x Large Gauze swab ( will do larger wounds but can be cut to fit smaller )
1 x Crepe bandage
1 x Face shield
Paracetamol for pain relief
Antihystamines for allergies
Ibuprofen for pain and swelling
Immodium for the trots.
Roll of either micropore or elasoplast tape.
Carried in a ziplok bag to keep the contents dry but can also be used as a waterproof, airtight cover in case of burns or punctured lung.

Sniper - would it be worth carrying actual butterfly stitches? They don't take up much space once out of the box.

Also - is it possible to get smaller ones? I bought some 3M "Steri Strip" ones in France after gashing my head on a stupidly placed nail in an apartment I was renting - I only needed a couple and they were cut to about 1.5 inches long. That led to about 4 strips of about 3 inches long being wasted (non sterile once opened and all that) which seemed a bit daft.

Any plans for another course yet?

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Ive already been on several first-aid courses. Its required in my line of work and has to be renewed every 2 years.

Thing is though that theyve got nothing to do with wilderness first aid. All the courses stress that you should check for vital signs, stop the bleeding (or whatever is wrong) and call 112. They all assume that youre near a telephone and help will arrive in max 10 min.

Most of the times im off alone and in the summertime i sometimes have my family with me.

I remembered that i bought a Lifesystems Trek FAK some years ago. Went rummaging in the basement and found it.
With a few additions and modifications itll cover my needs fine. Im missing some moleskins, antihistamines and maybe something to wipe insect-bites down with.

Im thinking about losing the latex gloves...what do you guys think? The only situation i could imagine myself using them is if some stranger is bleeding profusely and i really have to get "wet". I dont see myself having to worry about infecting a deep wound, as my priority is getting to the hospital. Again, bear in my mind that almost anywhere in Scandinavia i wont be more than a days hike from the nearest road/civilization and losing the gloves will free up more space for other things such as dressings, plasters, etc.

Thanks for all the replies!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
All first aid is the same whether for wilderness or not, the only difference normally is the wait factor. In the wilds it can take a lot more time for help to arrive. Therefore the wilderness ones tend to have a bit more emphasis on what to do for extended wait periods, apart from that the content is the same basically.
Bigshot, If you have the space for them then great, the contents I put up are only the basic kit but when you have more space then add bits to it by all means.
Pulha, do not take out the gloves mate, yes I understand that it is carried for your own benifit but you may have to use it on others or others on you if you are badly injured. Also they can be filled with water and used as a cold pack if needed, even just a water carrier in an emergency, also it is not just about bleeding it is also about a barrier to stop cross infection/contamination. As for the phones, I reckon most folks carry mobiles now so I suppose in most cases your within 10 mins of contacting the emergency services even if it will take them much longer to get to you.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
It wasnt so much because of the weight, more because i have a principle of getting rid of all those "just in case" items.

I think my ultralight backpacking-mentality kicked in there for a while. I guess i oughta leave that to everything but the FAK.

May 4, 2009
Spencer Mass- US
Take a first aid course and then you can make your own kit. There are just so many things that you could bring. You need to figure out whats best for you.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
FAKs are as individual as the rest of the kit we carry, some of us tend to carry more than others, so it's really all down to what you can carry comfortably. The small kit list I put up is as I say the very basic which you should carry and most of it can be used in a variety of ways with just a little imagination. The contents can be added to with more items as you think fit, but I suggest that my list is a minimum and no less should be taken. A FAK is one of those things that really hopefully is only needed once in a blue moon and then only in some form of emergency so it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, unlike much of the other kit we carry if we don't have it we are uncomfortable. But to not have a bit of emergency first aid kit when we need it could be far more serious.

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
"All first aid is the same whether for wilderness or not"

Sorry, don't agree.

Take one injury - broken ankle. In an office - support the injury, blanket the casualty, wait for ambulance, write up for the accident book.

In the woods, a different story. At the least, you've got a longer wait for help. You need to stabilise the ankle, perhaps apply traction. You might need to cut a bergen up to build a traction splint - do you know how? Do you stabilise the injury by strapping it to the other leg or by making a splint? You may have to carry the casualty out. Do you know how to improvise a stretcher? How often to check the injury when carrying? What vital signs to look out for? Whether to give the casualty something to drink or not?

Wilderness/mountain first aid is much, much more detailed and much further along the continuum than statutory first aid at work, and it is at least worth reading up on it if not doing a course.

Really informative posts here.

featherstick - nicely illustrated difference between injuries in and out of civilisation.
Can you suggest a good place to read up for the "at least" option, or is that just a general suggestion to read up if not taking a course?

Sniper - I've been mulling over the "ideal" (for me) basic first aid kit to carry and build on, it's nice to have someone as experienced as yourself provide such a list (with all caveats in place of course) so thanks for that.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
"All first aid is the same whether for wilderness or not"

Sorry, don't agree.

Take one injury - broken ankle. In an office - support the injury, blanket the casualty, wait for ambulance, write up for the accident book.

In the woods, a different story. At the least, you've got a longer wait for help. You need to stabilise the ankle, perhaps apply traction. You might need to cut a bergen up to build a traction splint - do you know how? Do you stabilise the injury by strapping it to the other leg or by making a splint? You may have to carry the casualty out. Do you know how to improvise a stretcher? How often to check the injury when carrying? What vital signs to look out for? Whether to give the casualty something to drink or not?

Wilderness/mountain first aid is much, much more detailed and much further along the continuum than statutory first aid at work, and it is at least worth reading up on it if not doing a course.

What if yer on yer own?
icon12.gif

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
What if yer on yer own?
icon12.gif

Pain relief, splint it as best you can, get out, get help, cry.

BigShot said:
Can you suggest a good place to read up for the "at least" option, or is that just a general suggestion to read up if not taking a course?
Read as much as you can from a variety of sources. Everyone has their own tips, tricks and ways of working. But best to take a good course. You might also find this handy: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=532678&postcount=29

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
This might descend into the debate that raged a couple of months ago!

I would take the advice given above. Learn first-aid, have a think and put together your own kit. Duct tape does go a long way to replacing blister dressings, triangular bandages etc. if you know what you're doing and are only a day away from civilization. Otherwise, your FAK will increase in size according to the nature of your trip.

In many respects it comes down to two important adages:
the more you know, the less you can carry

a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE