Which Dutch Oven???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
This kind of follows the thread on pots and pans.
I want a dutch oven, but now the issue is whether to go for traditional cast iron (heavy and perhaps difficult to clean) or aluminium (light and easy to clean). That said, it seems an easy choice, but what about the differing abilities of aluminium and cast iron to transmit heat evenly and of course the ultimate test, what is the grub like out of each?
Does anyone have experience of either, or both in the field that may help my final decision? :confused:

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I can't imagine that the food would be any different from one or the other, with the possible exception of baking, in which case the cast iron is likely to distribute the heat better than aluminium. Personally I've a cast iron dutch oven, and as long as weight isn't an issue, it's a very satisfying bit of kit.

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
Perhaps the question should be which 'style' of Dutch oven.Some have domed lids like a conventional cookpot & were more intended for use on a stove others have dished lids so that you could cover then with embers for outside use.Some even have short legs making them suitable for standing in a camp fire.You can even stack them!....But beggars can't be choosers...I paid £1 for my dome lidded cast iron oven from the local dump.It does need a bit more care than perhaps an aluminium one(oiling after use) but it seems to work fine on or at the edge of the fire.It makes particularly fine bannocks & loaves.The only downsides are, obviously, weight & with my one I have no way of suspending it over the fire.(Does anyone know the root of the name Dutch Oven-my friend is convinced that a Dutch Oven is when you fart under the Duvet :D )

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Found this
1. In 1704 a man by the name of Abraham Darby traveled from England to Holland to inspect a Dutch casting process by which brass vessels where cast in dry sand molds. Upon returning to England Darby experimented with the process and eventually patented a casting process using a better type of molding sand as well as a process of baking the mold to improve casting smoothness. Darby eventually began casting pots and shipping them to the new colonies and throughout the world. Ragsdale suggests that the name "Dutch Oven" may have derived from the original Dutch process for casting metal pots.

2. Others have suggested that early Dutch traders or salesmen peddling cast iron pots may have given rise to the name "Dutch Oven".

3. Still others believe that the name came from Dutch settlers in the Pennsylvania area who used similar cast iron pots or kettles.

Personally I thought it was the third myself, but who know?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Celt_Ginger said:
Why not go for a steel one. Not as heavy as cast iron, bit more durable than alluminium. You can get enamel coated steel Dutch ovens in Homebase for a few quid.
On the contrary, I'd argue that steel burns food and sticks in the middle of the pan, while cast iron and aluminium conduct it over the food better. Alu is lighter than both cast iron and steel... so I'd say alu is best, then cast iron, then steel.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
arctic hobo said:
On the contrary, I'd argue that steel burns food and sticks in the middle of the pan, while cast iron and aluminium conduct it over the food better. Alu is lighter than both cast iron and steel... so I'd say alu is best, then cast iron, then steel.
Sure hope you are right, as with a shortage of replies / experiences from others, the aluminium one is on order :rolleyes:
And as far as Trek Direct go, what really helpful people. Well recommended :D

I've never burnt anything in my steel dutch oven yet. If you are not careful, you can burn anything in cast iron or alluminium as well. It's not so much about what the material is, it's about how you look after it and how you cook in it. Of course cast iron and Alluminium conduct heat better than steel. But have you any idea of the degrees of difference? With fifteen years of experience in the Catering trade, I can tell you it's not much. I don't think any of us that cook over an open fire is going to get a Michelin Star.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Celt_Ginger said:
I've never burnt anything in my steel dutch oven yet. If you are not careful, you can burn anything in cast iron or alluminium as well. It's not so much about what the material is, it's about how you look after it and how you cook in it. Of course cast iron and Alluminium conduct heat better than steel. But have you any idea of the degrees of difference? With fifteen years of experience in the Catering trade, I can tell you it's not much. I don't think any of us that cook over an open fire is going to get a Michelin Star.

Sounds complete sense to me. :D I guess that I didn't want to be eating rust and spending time scrubbing the thing clean if Aluminium would do much the same job. I am sure you are right about the cook being more important than the gear too. I do however take a certain pride in being able to produce decent meals when I am out, if only to not have to resort to packets and tins. Do you ever cook outdoors with your Dutch oven and do you you have any recipes for beginners? As for Michelin, some of my breads would make good tyre material :lmao:

LOL BeechLover. I think almost all of us that have ever cooked bread either indoor or out has made the "indestructable loaf", lol. As far as using a dutch oven outdoors is concerned, almost anything you might use it for at home is possible. the only difference might be that is is more difficult to surround the dutch oven with heat outdoors than it is in a domestic cooker, unless you have a fairly deep fire pit that you can completely cover the dutch oven with. Another consideration is what fuel you will be using. if you use charcoal, then you will get a good consistent temp, while wood tends to be somewhat cooler, although wood embers are more like charcoal and are good for Dutch oven cooking. Even hard woods or soft woods burn with different temperatures. Meat is excellent cooked in dutch ovens, though put some water in with it (about 2") this will keep it moist, especially if you cover the oven and don't want to uncover it to check how it is doing. The liquer will also make either tasty stock for another dish, or as a gravey (stir in some cornflour to thicken it, but make sure you cook it all the way through, or you will have floury tasting gravey) Root Veg tends not to cook all that well in a dutch oven unless you can par boil them for a while before putting them in, unless you are cooking at a good high temp. best thing to do is experiment at home with some ideas until you get it the way you want it.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi All,

I realise I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I've just found it and I've been after a DO for ages, I have a couple of questions:

Beachlover, how have you got on with the alu oven - has it melted (my main concern of them)?

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced source of cast iron/steel ones in the uk, I'm after a proper dutch oven with legs, hanging handle and lid that holds coals - Lodge style?

Thanks all,

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Big John said:
Hi All,

I realise I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I've just found it and I've been after a DO for ages, I have a couple of questions:

Beachlover, how have you got on with the alu oven - has it melted (my main concern of them)?

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced source of cast iron/steel ones in the uk, I'm after a proper dutch oven with legs, hanging handle and lid that holds coals - Lodge style?

Thanks all,
I love the Dutch oven. Like any other method of cooking it takes a bit of looking after, but I have had no disasters so far. Mine is a 10" and although I would have liked a bigger version (I'm not boasting and let's keep on topic!) it is certainly big enough for two to three people.
Melting is not a worry. I am sure that there are people on here who are obsessional enough to tell you the melting point of aluminium, but on a fire (rather than a forge) and certainly with charcoal or embers, it ain't going to melt.
For what it's worth, Stones would support an oven without legs and make it easier to carry. Weight is an issue, even with an aluminium one, but they are just lovely things to cook in. I think I have a link for cooking with Dutch ovens somewhere and if you get one, you won't mind the weight.
I got mine from Tamarack. Not cheap, but don't know anywhere else to get one.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
beachlover said:
...I am sure that there are people on here who are obsessional enough to tell you the melting point of aluminium, but on a fire (rather than a forge) and certainly with charcoal or embers, it ain't going to melt.

(Not wishing to appear obsessional :eek:) I don't have personal experience, but there are quite a few sites that suggest that it is quite possible to melt aluminum under normal conditions and that just a little care can avoid any problems...

Aluminum ovens can melt if too much heat is applied to them! The melting point of aluminum cast alloy is around 1200° F. as opposed to cast iron's melting point of over 2000° F. It is possible to reach temperatures of 1200° F. if too many coals are used during cooking, or if the bottom of the Dutch oven is in direct contact with the coals.
source

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Well....it seems too late to convince you to go for the cast iron dutch oven but that's my choice. Maintenence isn't an issue once the oven is prepped the first time by baking on a coating of vegatable oil or shortening. After that, clean up is a breeze and the more you use it, the more it develps a "non-stick" type surface that work nearly as good as teflon for me. Cleaning after use only involves wiping out the bulk of the remaining food, filling the oven with water and putting it back over the coals. Scrub lightly, (NEVER, EVER use any type of soap)!!!! And the pot will come clean. Wipe a thin coat of oil on the pot and put away. Simple and easy.
As for the weight issue, I don't think you'll be backpacking either one of these into the backcountry so I use mine for "car camping" only. Weight's not a considering factor for me.
Over here in the states, the cast iron ovens are much cheaper than the aluminum ones and can be found at nearly any department or sporting goods store. Aluminum is harder to find here. Either way you go though, cooking in a dutch oven opens up an unlimited number of meal opportunities. There's nothing you can't cook in a dutch oven that you can cook at home.
Best wishes and let us know how the aluminum oven works out for you.

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
If any of you dutch oven users are interested, I have a great PDF doc all about their use with LOADS of dutch oven recipes in it, many quite simple.

Is there any way of attatching such a doc on here for people to download if they wish?

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE