Which DOWN bag for £150 or less?

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Just about to embark on some hill-walking and need to reduce weight big time.
Decided on the new backpack and my new Moco base layers are on their way, but i need a Down bag that offers the best possible warmth (4 season) but is as lightweight and as small as possible.

My budget is around the 150 mark.

Cheers
Richie

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I too am seriously contemplating getting a down bag around the 600g mark but have quickly found that you can't get a down bag of this weight for less than £200!

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I'm afraid Alpkit bags are not lightweight by any means. Look at PHD, Cumulus, Rab and the rare Western Mountaineering and expect to pay at least £200 for a proper lightweight yet warm bag!

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
I'm afraid Alpkit bags are not lightweight by any means. Look at PHD, Cumulus, Rab and the rare Western Mountaineering and expect to pay at least £200 for a proper lightweight yet warm bag!

Alas it's true - the Skyhigh 800 is robust and warm but weighs about 1.5kg and resembles Barnes Wallis' bouncing bomb when compressed. Good value for money but not a patch on Rab or PHD.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Do you think the Minim 300 in red "drishell" is worth getting over the standard black? Maybe less durable, less breathable, ect? Would be interested to know.

I wouldn't like to say, I use mine inside a bivvy so just went for the standard M1

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Guess I need to stretch my budget. Cheers All

How tall are you, whats your chest size?
Im 6ft a 42/43reg chest and had to send my standard sized Minim back, it was so tight.
Rather than pay extra to have width fitted, and the dri-shell, I bought a second hand Rab Quantum Endurance Rab 400 for £120 [RRP £266][ with Pertex Quantum shell to stop condensation wetting the down] and had it professionally cleaned for £50 and some internal baffle stitching repaired by Rab for free! [Excellent customer service] And after cleaning they loft like new.
http://rab.uk.com/love-your-rab/down-care.html
I think its better than the newer replacement neutrino, as it's 96% pure white goose down.
This is a narrow cut bag, but nowhere near as narrow as the PHD. Which, admittedly are excellent. You can get some good bargains on evilbay, and a good down bag will last for many years.

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I know all RAB products are GT'd for life, so they will always repair any problems.
Just worried about size though.

I'm 5'11 with 42/44'' chest. I guess I'll just have to check out the returns policy before I buy.

Thanks again for the pointers, I'm off to check out the links now.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
They do have some stuff thats cheaper than the the rest during Sale time. If youre gonna buy it from Go, may as well go a long and try it in the shop. Judging by your size, I dont think you'll get along with a standard PHD Minim. But they accept returns no bother, if it doesnt fit. As others have said, Cant go wrong with a Rab bag....[If money was no issue I'd get a PHD tailored to fit.]

Do you tend to sleep hot or cold? Im on the warm side, and I find my -4 bag too warm for most of the year. [I also use quilt and an old Vango ultralite bag]

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Do you tend to sleep hot or cold?

Depends on how much Brandy I've taken with me!

I used to be a warm sleeper but to be honest, the last few months I've found things have changed. They may change again on Friday when i turn....., when I turn............, older than 44 :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE