Which centrefire calibre?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
J

You're just not taking the hint on the photo front!!!:p

I do love where I live, but can thoroughly enjoy all beautiful places.

Good luck with vetting - sure will be fine.

Scope of 6x is a pretty good middle ground choice. Much higher magnification gets increasingly unsteady to 'hold' in field conditions - at least for 3Fs like me. Quite a few argue for 2.5 or 4x. Depends on what suits you. If you only ever hunted dense woods, then lower end mag has a lot to favour it.

Per Texas post - 30-06 has got to be a classic - 'Aint nothin I cant fix with $700 and a 30-06'. But essentially a 63mm case as opposed to 51mm case for 308. Unless you need heavier end bullets, reload and want flexibility or loads of gas through a Boss etc, giving little away. I have a 30-06 and love it dearly - chose calibre over 308 for latter reason in list above.

Interestingly, having chronographed lots of different set ups, my rifle tends to shoot a given 30-06 factory load at close to the printed 308 ballistics. Works fine for me.

I look forward to the next photo's.....

Hi All,
I thought I'd revive this thread as I now have my firearms licence (hooray!) and I've also had a chance to try out a few different rifles/calibres.

These are the guns we have at work at the moment, but they're not all used for work purposes, only about half of them. There are hardly any with the same calibre! only a few .22's.

I'm leaning towards a 7mm .08 again and hope to put a box of ammo through the one in the top photo, 2nd rifle down, in the next week or so. It's a Ruger with a very lightweight barrel. Nice to carry and easy to point! I've tried a 257 and a 300 and think they were too heavy calibre for what I intend to do. The SKS is good fun to shoot!

Cheers, J

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
It's a great feeling when that envelope drops through the door.

Mind you the photo on it always makes you look like "Carlos, the jackal. Arms trader and all round bad egg":lmao:

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
7mm-08 is a nice round - just check on the availability of ammo where you are. Light barrel isnt really an issue on a hunting rifle - carried much, shot little. But construction does make it critical its a good barrel - cut carefully, stress relieved etc.

The SKS works best if you have black pjs, slopey hat and spend a lot of time in rice paddies!

Moisin-Nagant is nice and used to be popular converted for hunting up in Finland. Bit dated and very painful on fingers if you try to fit a scope.

The break barrel air rifle in the bottom picture is probably going to lack stopping power on Sika....;)

Good to experience a range of rifles to help make right choice for you and your area. But remember the saying 'beware the man with one gun'.

Good hunting.

S

Sambo Rambo

not what youd call a balistics guy but i have a steyr mannlicher in .243 and my dad has a .308 and a 6.5x55 swed both made by tikka. my favorite calibre for roe is my .243 (having shot one for a early crimbo present) but for red and sika dad says the 6.5x55 is the gun to use. having only had my license since june most other people will no more than me by a million but ive shot a lot on ranges and still that shooting the .308 is like trying to throw a rock 200 metres, just a thought

sam

Firstly, thanks to everyone that's provided me with heaps of useful info and comments regarding choices of rifle, calibre, scope etc. I've taken it all on board (mostly anyway!) but I've actually gone for something completely different from what I first expecting to buy! Have a look:

It's .357 Magnum/.38SP calibre Rossi Puma copy of a Winchester Model 1892 and holds 10 rounds. I hoping to use it for some close range bush hunting (pigs, deer, goats) and for having some tin can blasting fun with it too. It also satisfies my interest in older firearms and the fact that I've always wanted to own/use a lever action rifle.

I'm still hoping to get a more modern, scoped, stainless and synthetic hunting rifle and still leaning towards a 7mm .08, Remington but it's on the back-burner for now.
Got to have some fun with this one first and got to suss out shooting over these very unfamiliar open sights!

Keep you posted.
Cheers,
J :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice gun - I shoot a Marlin 1894 in the same calibres (very similar gun in fact) although I have slapped a weaver base on top that takes a red dot or scope according to mood. They aren't much good at range being a pistol calibre but with an expanding round at close range they should do the business on goats etc. I roll my own loads for it too so if you get into that and want any advice, shout

Red

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Hi all,

Jimie from my own experience, I would highly recomend the 6.5x55, it has all of the strenghts of the .270 swift, shoots very flat like a .308 and has minimal recoil, and is very cheep to reload, considering they are used in scandinavia to hunt large game like deer they are a very good option, I have used mine to hunt feral pigs, goats, brumbies (feral horses), feral donkies, camels, bantang cattle, possums, scrubber bulls, kangaroos and wallabies, and never needed a follow up shot, I consider it a great cartrige to use. (I might add that I worked for the Department of Primary Indastries when I first left school in feral animal destruction.)

Factory ammo is readily available here in OZ and NZ mostly around the 168 gn mark, which is more than adiquate for any thing over there in the shaky isle, but you can get up to 190 to 280 gn in factory loads also, but reloading, which easily learned, will bring your costs to use it down to 15cents per shot, thats with 180 gn projectiles and middle of the range powder, and 100 cases will set you back about 60 - 80 dollars depending on the brand.

I own a number of rifles of larger and smaller caliber but I find the swede to be the best all rounder to use, my 6.5x55 is a swedish Mauser m38, open sights full wood ex military, its a bute and more than adequate for our reigon (Aust / NZ).

I hope this is useful to you,

Cheers,

Karl

Hi All,
This old thread again! ;)
Just thought I'd let you know that I've finally got the hunting rifle I was after (Yay! :D ).
It's a Remington 700 SPS stainless/synthetic in .308 with a Weaver V9 3-9x38mm scope. It came as a package and I may upgrade the scope to a Leupold when dollars allow, but I think Weaver is a pretty good make.

I picked it up today and haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but will do in a few days, when I'm back at work.
Needless to say - I'm well chuffed! :)
Thanks for all the input to this thread guys. :You_Rock_
Cheers,
J

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Hi All,
This old thread again! ;)
Just thought I'd let you know that I've finally got the hunting rifle I was after (Yay! :D ).
It's a Remington 700 SPS stainless/synthetic in .308 with a Weaver V9 3-9x38mm scope. It came as a package and I may upgrade the scope to a Leupold when dollars allow, but I think Weaver is a pretty good make.

I picked it up today and haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but will do in a few days, when I'm back at work.
Needless to say - I'm well chuffed! :)
Thanks for all the input to this thread guys. :You_Rock_
Cheers,
J

That's a good rifle choice. I've hunted a lot of game since I was a young kid using a wide variety of firearms and other weapons. For years my favorite has been a .308 custom built on a 98 Mauser action. It's a very versatile round if you have a well built and accurate rifle. It has the range and power that in the hands of a good shot and modern ammo you can kill game as big as elk. I liked it's range versus other popular American rounds, like the .30-30. Out in places like Arizona you have the opportunity to get in long range shots which are rare in other locations.

You seem new to using a scoped centerfire out in the field. If I may suggest, I've always liked Butler Creek flip up scope covers and good, US military style sling (also useful as a shooting aid).

I know that in places like NZ, pistols are more restricted than in the US. When out in the field in the US when I have larger bore centerfire rifle, I've preferred when I could to also carry a stainless, Ruger MkII .22LR caliber pistol with a 4-3/4" barrel and fixed sights. Those pistols are the proverbial Timex watch of firearms. Extremely accurate and virtually indestructible to everything from immersion, human sweat, dropping from a moving vehicle, you name it.

I've also done a lot of hunting with other firearms, like the 5.56mm AR-15 and the 5.56mm Ruger Mini-14. Both work great on game like deer and javelina but not at the ranges you can nail them with a .308 at. However, you hit a mule deer in the head with a 5.56mm AR-15 at 200m and you'll blow the opposite side of it's head off.

I've also hunted with my Kalashnikov's, but I've only had one, a 7.62x39mm Chinese Polytech AKM that was really accurate enough for my tastes. Military style AKM's can vary wildly on their accuracy, depending greatly upon where they were made at. Most are not that accurate. For hunting with 7.62x39mm, European or American ammo is the best, but I have known people who were short on resources and needed the meat, to bring down deer with their $75 SKS and a single round of el-cheapo Chinese military FMJ ammo.

As with anything, it's shot placement and the skill of the hunter that matter above all else. For example, I've seen footage of an Eskimo in Alaska kill a whale from shore with a Browning BLR lever action rifle, which was an impressive feat (he said that the timing was to catch it on the inhale so the carcass wouldn't sink). One of the most reknown elephant hunters of colonial Africa killed a lot of his elephants with a 6.5x54mm Mannlicher-Schönauer, not exactly what many would consider a stereotypical 'elephant gun'. In the eastern US 100 years ago, a .32-20 was considered an adequate deer cartridge. I know several people that have killed many deer with a .22LR or a .22 Hornet. I know for a first hand fact that you can kill a deer with a .22LR pistol if you are a skilled hunter and a good shot.

The AR-15 is a real tack driver. Due to it's lack of an op-rod and it's Swedish designed direct impingement gas system, is an extremely accurate rifle for an automatic. The inherent accuracy of a properly built AR-15 and AR-10 approaches or equals that of a bolt action rifle.

I've also hunted with more primitive weapons like black powder and bow and arrow, and both can get you into the field for an extra season each in many states.

I really like the 6.5x55mm Swede, which wasn't too popular here in the States until the Swedish military adopted a version of the 5.56mm FNC and moved their 7.62mm HK G3 rifles into reserve. They then dumped the bulk of their entire 6.5x55mm reserve arsenal into the US commercial market and you could get a pristine condition, 100 year old M96 Mauser in 6.5x55mm for a low as $35 at one point of the surplus rifle tidal wave during the early to mid 90's (Swedes, Mosin Nagants, various Mausers, Brit & Aussie .303's, you name it, it came in). They were so cheap that I got introduced to the round when a buddy of mine just gave me a spare M96 that he had laying around simply to prove his point on accurate that they were.

Nowadays a round that's growing in popularity in the States is the .260 Remington, which is a .308 necked down to 6.5mm. The 6.5x55mm Swede introduced to a wide variety of shooters in US to the fact that 6.5mm bullets are in a ballistic sweet spot. The .260 Remington was an old, homemade wildcat round, the 6.5-08, that Remington adopted as a standard factory cartridge in 1997.

The .260Rem has almost identical ballistics to the 6.5x55mm but it can be chambered in the popular short actions, which the 6.5x55mm cannot. In fact, any rifle made for the .308 can be made to fire the .260 with just a barrel change. It's also common for the .260 to be loaded a tad hotter than the 6.5x55mm.

Ballistically the .260 has it all over the .308, and it's gaining wide acceptence in the long range marksmanship competitions. The .260 has the punch of a .308, the recoil of a .243, and the ballistic trajectory of the .300 WinMag. You can also make the brass if you have to out of .308 or .243 brass.

-----------------

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
This old girl is 100 years old this year and still going strong.

432_3252_1.jpg

6.5 x 55 is a lovely thing to shoot.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I currently use a Sako.308win and a Tikka T3 .243, both with heavy, stainless varmint barrels. I only shoot homeloads.

These calibres cover everything from fox, to red deer and the .308 is also used succesfully in competition (Silver in the McQueen at Bisley Phoenix a few years back -not bad for a stock deer rifle!) I've also used the .308 for up to 1000yd in F-class, where it didn't disgrace itself up against the expensive custom totty (the guns, not the competitors.)

I also compete with an underlever .38/.357mag Marlin, like British Red's. This is never used on game, though! I prefer it over the Rossi and winchester offerings as the side-ejection allows easy scope mounting.

Rapidboy, I have a Lee Enfield itch that one day I'll probably have to scratch! Is it a fun gun to own? (EDIT: Hmm, what gun is that?)

Happy Easter, all

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Swedish Mauser 96 in 6.5 x 55
The classic rifles are all good fun to shoot.

One of my clubs is building a new indoor range but they have one area that will go out to 50 yards so im thinking about getting a lever action rifle for that.
Lever actions are not as popular here as they are in the rest of the UK because we still have pistols but i fancy trying some of the comps as they look like good fun.

Mar 30, 2007
Nyack, NY
[/QUOTE]
I liked it's range versus other popular American rounds, like the .30-30. Out in places like Arizona you have the opportunity to get in long range shots which are rare in other locations.
When out in the field in the US when I have larger bore centerfire rifle, I've preferred when I could to also carry a stainless, Ruger MkII .22LR caliber pistol with a 4-3/4" barrel and fixed sights. Those pistols are the proverbial Timex watch of firearms. Extremely accurate and virtually indestructible to everything from immersion, human sweat, dropping from a moving vehicle, you name it.

I know several people that have killed many deer with a .22LR or a .22 Hornet. I know for a first hand fact that you can kill a deer with a .22LR pistol if you are a skilled hunter and a good shot.
-----------------[/QUOTE]

Here in the east most shots are around 80 yds. or less - I use 30-30 Win or 35 Rem. exclusively in my lever Marlins. The new Hornady Leverrevolution ammo
transforms the ballistics of these old calibers.

I'll second the motion on The MKII - brilliant gun, never jams. Mine is blued with an adjustable rear sight, 5.5 bull barrel. Accurate too. Don't think I'd go for a center mass shot on a deer with it though. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE