Which Canvas Boots Are Made in France or Europe or Israel? Any Legionnaires Know?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Alright,
I read the threads on the canvas boots and am a bit confused.

Which brand of boot is still made in France or Europe?

The Palladium?
Wissart?
Or some other brand?

Does the Israeli canvas boot still exist and has anyone tried it?

Usually when I have purchased any footwear made in China it tends to disintegrate in short order...a few months so I would rather track down the real item and get my money's worth.

Any former Legionnaires on the board that can tell us the straight tale about these canvas boots?
I have worn wellingtons and leather work boots and cheap trainers in differing weather conditions but this type of canvas footwear sounds nice for hot dry weather.

Any clues or ideas?
Thanks.

Aug 31, 2009
Sevenoaks, Kent
I have recently bought a pair of french Palladium brand canvas 'Legionnaire' boots from Orvis. They are well made and comfortable, great for hot weather. Sadly although the logo says 'Depuis 1947' the tag inside says 'Made in China'.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I too have just purchased my forth pair of Palladium canvas boots... (four pairs in 20 years), I wear them every day in summer. As Howie says they are very comfortable in hot weather and I've found very hard wearing. My last pair lasted over 8 years. Can't find a Made in label on mine, but they were bought from Drousoux surplus in Paris. I'd hazard a guess they are made in China though.
The first pair I got in a small shop in the Pyrenees in 1990 and were definitely French made. Quality is comparable, but the inner sole is now man made fibre where as those first ones had woven straw inner soles, and only came in a sort of orangie/beige colour.
Probably one of my favourite boots, along with the 8 hole DM's and Timberlands.
Cheers
Gareth

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
this came up in the 'orvis boots' thread, i have got a pair of 'wissart' legionaires boots, same as the palladiums, says made in france, no date on them, so maybe do a search for them.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I have a pair of the Israeli canvas boots in OD. These are slightly different from the Palladiums as they have an extra “gaiter” sewn to them.
My boots are sadly a bit too small (size 44) and thus not used very much.
There are no tags on the boots, just has “Made in Israel” text on the sole.
IMO these boots are just slightly better than the Converse I had in the youth.
They look better though.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
this came up in the 'orvis boots' thread, i have got a pair of 'wissart' legionaires boots, same as the palladiums, says made in france, no date on them, so maybe do a search for them.
er...how did the word orvis become a linky thing in my reply? i did not do that! has someone else done it?

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Rabbitsmacker,
thanks for that reminder.
I was interested to know if anyone did know if Wissart still made the boots in France as of today or if anyone knew if there was a comparable product still made in Europe that would not fall apart after 6 months. You know, things that were once made in Europe have a habit of disappearing and reemerging suddenly as being made in someplace where construction standards are lacking.

Thanks again all.

From what I can find out on the web: current Palladium boots all seem to be made in China-perhaps the older versions were made in Israel but not anymore.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE