Which Camera (another one - but with specific aims)

• Thread starter Deleted member 36581
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 36581

Hi all,

Firstly apologies for yet another annoying which camera thread but I've been doing some digging and I'm still confused being new to cameras. Much of the information I'm finding is a bit out of date as well.

What I'm after is a decent second hand camera for around £150-300 and I'm looking for some opinions on what models to look for.

I'm looking for a camera which will be suitable for wildlife photography - I enjoy stalking with an air rifle but don't so much enjoy killing things so I'd like to try with a camera instead.

I'd consider an DSLR if it is a must, but ideally I think a bridge camera would suit me better for portability and to avoid damage. Secondly I fly an open cockpit microlight and would like to shoot photos from that and I imagine an DSLR could be difficult to handle whilst wearing a helmet and getting battered by air at 70mph. The wildlife photography is what I'm most interested in so that takes priority.

What would you suggest looking at? I had been considering a Canon G10 for a while but I'm concerned that with such a low level of optical zoom that might not be sufficient for my aims.

Many Thanks

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
While the G10 would be good in the air its not going to have the reach you want for wildlife.

A DSLR will hold up much better to the rough and tumble and if you make sure you have live view on it you wont need to hold it your eye in the air.

You could try a CSC like THIS and THIS together giving a better coverage in a small light package within budget that will do both jobs well enough.

Or THIS DSLR

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
Some of the Panasonic Lumix range have very long zoom lenses that are quite well suited to wildlife. My brother in law has a superb older pocket size one with massive zoom and its never let him down. He also has a bridge-style Panasonic that is brilliant too. For affordability and lack of bulk then I would personally be thinking hard about a Lumix.

Digital SLRs are now stonking but a bit pricey by comparison. The Nikon D90 has been around awhile and is still sold new: superb camera. You may find a good used Nikon D60 model too. Other-make lenses are available for those in better supply/quality than for Canon (All other-make lenses for Canon fit are re-engineered because Canon doesn't licence the specs to other makers - I have an old film Canon camera with two lenses that work on it but don't work on newer cameras). Have a look at dpreview.com for a lot of camera and lens reviews to help you decide.

Luck with the photography.

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
I have a lumix fz38 and love it, been superseded now and can be picked up new within your budget, but also look at subsequent models as well.

Sent from my Android phone

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Another happy Lumix owner. I have a fz28. A little bit slow for some wildlife, but the newer models should be better. There is one with a zoom range from 24-600 (related to old film cameras) with an opening of f2,8 even at the long end, fz200. This looks almost perfect to me. New a little bit more than your budget, but maybe there comes another one in autumn and the price drops or you can find a used one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE