Which Bushcrafter knife to buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
This my first time posting on this forum – normally I just lurk and read discussions :cool:
But now I’m faced with a particular dilemma and hoping to get some assistance:

In March next year I’ll be having my first child (a son). The mother, knowing what a knife nut I am, wants to get me a knife to commemorate the event. I’ve been given a budget of about $500 and, as this will be the last knife I get for a while, need to make it count. Aim is to get a good, memorable, knife that I can still use hard and keep long term (nothing so pretty I’m scared to get it scratched).

Currently I have a collection of Bark Rivers (Liten Bror, Gunny, Bravo 1, North Star Companion), an Enzo trapper, and a Fallkniven F1.

I’m leaning towards a scandi grind, bushcraft, knife (as all the forums indicate that it is the best) though I have preferred convex, drop point knives, thus far (I like to strop!).

Options I’ve been investigating:
• Koster custom bushcraft (ruling out as have some seen some bad reviews)
• Bark River Aurora (ruling out as too big)
• Fallkniven F1 with custom handles
• Fallkniven TK6 (probably not as it’s very pricey and reviews aren’t too great)
• Fallkkniven NL5 (a little too pretty, and not a fan of leather handles)
• Blind Horse knives (bushcraft) – seems a little big
• Off the Map knives bushcrafter (have sent a query)
• SWC handmade knives (orders not being taken)

Would prefer a knife with proven quality (something I can look up reviews for).

Ideally it would be a contoured handled knife, something like 3V steel, and as small and light as possible (comparable to F1). It’s not for chopping logs or stabbing invaders – just a nice usable bushcrafter.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

And yes - I realise what a great and awful problem this is to have... ;)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
For that price point you could commission a completely unique custom made knife from one of many talented makers on here.

Having used both i prefer a full flat grind to a scandi. May be better to buy a cheap mora to try a scandi out first.

M

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... though I have preferred convex, drop point knives, thus far (I like to strop!). ...

Go for what's right for you in the environment it's going to be used in. For general purpose use my personal preference is for a flat grind with a convex edge. Five hundred Au$ is a lot to put on a knife (over £300) so as mountainm said, if you have no experience of scandi for camping duties, get a mora first and have a play with it to see whether it works for you.

Do you have a knife which is almost perfect? One which would be absolutely perfect if it were a tad shorter / was 1mm thicker / had a belly swell / was a clip rather than a spear point / had 'x' wood handle etc? There's nothing wrong with taking an existing knife along to various makers and saying 'I want this knife with these alterations. How much will it coast?'.

As it's to celebrate the arrival of your first born it might be worth considering whether you want any engraving done on the blade ~ obviously this will be an additional cost and could be done at a later point.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Ditto what others have said...get a custom made knife.

I have a few, but the ones I keep returning to are my Bernie Garland Bushcrafter and an Alan Wood Tamarack. Both top craftsmen who produce fantastic tools.

Simon

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I’ve been given a budget of about $500 ...

What's the custom knife making scene like in Australia? Any favourite home ground makers?

I've no idea what postage would be like, or what you'd pay on insurance, or what you might get hit for by importing ~ what you might pay out on bringing it into Australia might be better going on getting what you want closer to home.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
If anyone says Australian knife maker to me, the first name that pops into my head is John Foxwell. His work is excellent.

http://www.akg.org.au/members/68-john-foxwell/profile

If you're interested in folders, the next name that comes to mind is Alistair Phillips (Cubane on various forums). Again, superb work.

http://knives.mutantdiscovery.com/

Some of your options look ok, but hardly something special for a celebration such as it needs to be.

Thanks guys - that's all great advice.

I did as suggested and checked out some of the Australian custom knife makers and I do believe my dilemma is even bigger - the range of options has my head spinning. John Foxwell has some awesome stuff, as does Peter Del Raso (http://www.australianbladeforums.com/vb4/showthread.php?1674-My-Del-Raso-knives).

As mentioned by Stew, I want something memorable. Something that my kid will grow up thinking of as "Dad's knife". Decorum - you are right in that I need to work out what I really want. And that raises a further dilemma - defining what the "best" knife is for me. Will these problems never end :)

I'll start another thread - as would now like some advice on exactly what makes the best bushcraft knife. There seems to be quite a range of views - Scandi vs convex etc. It seems that Scandi is considered the true "bushcraft" grind - but is that really the case? I believe Ray Mears kicked it off but is a full flat grind just as good?

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
have a look at MLL knives from portugal they're on facebook and lovely looking knives they are to, i have a couple of Gary Mills custom knives that are very nice bomb proof but wasnt that impressed with the angle of the grind but apart from that worth a look

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE