which books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
i just finished CALL OF THE WILD,BY GUY GRIEVE, it was a great read i could'nt put it down,can anybody give me some name's for some other books along the same lines .. cheers...

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Well I always recommend 'Deep survival' by Lawrence Gonzales http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Surviv...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253973252&sr=1-1

and 'Cold burial' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-Burial...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253973675&sr=1-1

I dislike The Goodlife http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Life-Y...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253973794&sr=1-4 because they make out that they stuck a pin in the map of the world to decide on their place for adventure.........and it landed on Canada. Later it turns out that they had relatives there. Not quite the 'throw caution to the wind' as it seems. A good book all the same but needlessly deceitful about how they came upon their choice of places to head to.

charadeur

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2009
USA Michigan
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. " Henry David Thoreau

For me nobody was as ahead of his times as Henry David Thoreau. His work is not an easy read but well worth the time spent. In my opinion the world has not seen such an important naturalist and philosopher since.

Thoreau was warning us 150 years ago that simple living was a much better lifestyle for ones own happiness. He seemed to have a vision of the lack of happiness our consumerism lifestyles would bring us.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
How about one man's wilderness.An alaskan odyssey by sam keith it's all about richard proenneke.It won a national outdoor book award.Hope this is of help.

5.10leader

I am currently reading a book referred to by Uncle Ray during, I think, his Canadian Canoe Trip in the Bushcraft Survival series; "Tales of an Empty Cabin" by Grey Owl (Archie Belaney). Whilst I'm halfway through, the book so far is both entertaining and thought provoking. No reason to expect that it will change and disappoint

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I spent the best part of a couple of years reading around this genre (the wilds of Canada + Alaska) including Guy Grieve's book which I thought was excellent - also caught the accompanying documentary which CH4 put on late one evening in advance of its publication.
Here's just a few suggestions, some of which may entail some trawling of the net to pick up:

1) Nunaga by Duncan Pryde (Simply the best)
2) Alone in the Wilderness by Mike Tomkies
3) Edges of the Earth by Richard Leo
4) The Cruelest Miles: The Heroic Story of Dogs and Men in a Race against an Epidemic
by Gay Salisbury, Laney Salisbury (Ripping Yarn!)
5) Shadows on the Koyukuk: An Alaskan Native's Life Along the River
by Sidney Huntington, Jim Rearden (his brother Jim wrote a similar memoir: 'On the
Edge of Nowhere')

As for fiction I'd echo the vote for Jack London

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE