Which binoculars to get?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
My daughter will be working on a monkey sanctuary in South Africa in a couple of months time and they get to go out into the Kruger National Park for a couple of days. She wants to get a relatively cheap, relatively light, pair of binoculars. I know that you get what you pay for, but she can't afford too much (I'd say less than £50) and she can't be taking anything too heavy (flight weight restrictions).

We don't really have any idea what to get, so any thoughts or suggestions for particular models and mag x diameter for African game observation?

Thanks

Geoff

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
That's tricky. I'd go for second hand at that pricerange. Check for fogging, fungus and smooth operation of focus wheel/dioptre adjust.

I wouldn't go above 8x magnification -anything more when handheld and what you gain in mag, you lose in wobble.

Your choice of objective will be limited by the size and weight restriction. I like 40-42mm in 8xmag, but these are not pocketable! Bear in my the game drives are often dawn and dusk, so a good exit pupil/twilight factor will be beneficial. So bigger diam obj. and less mag, is more.

Phone around a few optics shops and ask if they have had anything decent in on trade-in, or scour small adds and flea bay. Problem is, without trying them, you'll not know if they're any good.

I was a poor student on an elective placement when I went on safari and I think I just took a good camera and telephoto lens. Don't remember using the binos. If she wants to take pics, the telephoto lens would be a better bet than the binos in terms of investment/payoff.

If her experience is like mine was, she won't need the bins!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
For about double that price,Nikon do an 8x36 c. £89 (rrp £199) from warehousexpress.com(no connection).
Nikon also do 'Travelite' compact bins' that are very good.Price c. £100.

Any rspb shops nearby?
You can try out a good number of models there,iirc 'Viking' do a compact 8x25 that aren't bad at all.

There are a lot of dealers who'll have good 2nd hand offers on the go.
Buy a copy of 'Birdwatch' or 'Birdwatching' magazines, they carry ads for good dealers and if you call any i'm sure they'll impart really good advice.

I deal with 2 companies who are great and know their stuff.

Also check www.birdforum.net for a lot of info on all optics,at all prices.

Tom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE