Which axe ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Can't decide whether I need (or want :) ) the Outdoor Axe

http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=327

or the Small Forest Axe

http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=15

or even the Hand Hatchet

http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=235

or something else !

I've already got the Swedish Carving Axe for spoon carving and similar, and a Husqvarna hatchet for smaller stuff, and a large maul for bigger firewood duties. The new one will be for general campsite and garden duties. Any thoughts welcome :)

Cheers, Paul

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd stay away from the Small Forest personally Paul - I find it too large and heavy for general pack carry, and too small for proper two handed use. So, according to need, go smaller or larger - I would say the Outdoor is a good choice in "smaller" - its the smae length and weight as the one I designed and Cegga made - a perfect "pack axe". For larger I would look to something in a 24" helve - the Scandinavian Forest or Ray Mears design (which has a wider profile) - this can be used properly two handed but are manageable with one hand.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I have the gb small forest axe. Nice tool but as British Red mentioned, its neither here nor there - too small for two handed use and too big and heavy for single handed use and back pack carry. However the gb Wildlife hatchet is a much better for carrying in a pack and single handed use. For the larger option you could do a lot worse than the range of axes fiskars do.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Lots of food for thought there guys, thanks. Shame I can't go and see and handle the different options in one place, I'm sure it would be easier to decide.

I used to have the Ray Mears Wilderness axe but sold it on a few months ago as I found it too big to take anywhere with me and likewise oversized for most jobs around the garden, so I guess that points towards something smaller and more packable but bigger than the wee Husqvarna hatchet I've got.

Thinking about the GB Outdoor axe or the Wetterlings Bushman axe. Don't like the metal sleeve on the Outdoor though, just on aesthetics, I know it's functional, but then I don't like the aesthetics of the Bushman that much either ! I do like the way you can choke up on the Bushman though for finer work and it seems a bit bigger and heavier than the Outdoors one but maybe not a lot smaller than the Wilderness Axe that I found too large/heavy to tote around.

Hmm, confused now ! Wish I could get hands on with a few, would be so much easier !

Cheers, Paul

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Didn't realise W&D did stuff like tools ! Been a few years since I've been there, might well be worth another trip :)

Just been out to the workshop to check and the small Huskie hatchet is about 650g in weight and 32cm in length, and the GB Swedish Carver is about 950g and 36cm, or thereabouts.

I think that means that the GB Outdoor is too similar in weight to the Huskie with a slightly longer handle, but not really sufficiently different to be worthwhile ?

Tends to then come back to the Wetterlings Bushman or the GB SFA, both being around the weight of the Carver which seems about right to me, but with longer handles, the Bushman being a bit longer by a couple of inches which might deal with the SFA being not quite one thing or another ?

The other kind of uses it would be likely to get are splitting timber for woodturning or green woodworking, I often use a froe but would be good to be able to use a smallish axe that could take a bit of battoning when needed, the maul being more suited to larger lumps of firewood.

Starting to look like the Bushman fits best.....

Cheers, Paul

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Sorted. I can be decisive, eventually !!!

Went out to the garden with the Huskie hatchet and prepped some kindling and stuff by breaking down some branches that were needing tidying up, only small stuff up to about an inch or a bit more, green wood and dry stuff. No problem at all, easy and effective despite it's modest size. Split some thicker bits too and that went fine also.

Having re-read the thread again and picking up the reservations of the GB SFA still being a bit big and heavy for a rucksack, I think I'll stick with the hatchet for now as I think it'll do most of what I need when camping out, with the Silky and/or folding bowsaw if needed.

The answer was under my nose all along !!! :)

At least I can be sure I'll be likely to pack it as it is small and light enough to not need a second thought really, even if it won't do bigger stuff.

I'm also planning on getting the Bushman anyway :) For use at home as it seems like a good all round workhorse for the kind of things I do and if needed I can always try camping with it, particularly if not too far from the jeep.

Thanks for the help guys, got there in the end !

Cheers, Paul

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Got the same one as you and find it really useful. Does all the tasks I need and light enough not to leave behind. For bigger work I will take my Scandi Forrest axe but only when needed.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
How about a GB wildlife hatchet, or a small hawk? I'm starting to appreciate hawks more lately. They have their limitations, but for the type of stuff you might do on a one or two day trip they are good, and they are of course light.

outpost31

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2009
scotland
;)Just a wee observation I made recently,with regards axe size and weight. My mate Ian and I were camping last week Ian is 6 foot 5" and weighs 25 stone he wields my 3 and a half pound "full size" axe like a hatchet with one hand so it's all relative really. Top tip take a huge friend with you for a plentiful supply of firewood

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got the small forest axe, I like it and it works well for me, I also have the outdoor axe, it's great. The sleeve I like and it's come into its own, most of my axes have a very weather bit where the sleeve is from splitting and that's kept the outdoors helge tip top. It's got a nice profile and cuts well! Funnily enough I have the Gransfors large Swedish carver- we must have a similar taste in axes!

Now I have a dilemma of my own- a double bit or an American feller?- I really cant chose!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Ooh they are gorgeous- I need a. Double bit in my life, but I reckon I'll just babble on about how they're both important and I need two!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE