Which axe ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
By a double bit because you won't find one to restore at a cheap price over here. Then buy a good 3lb English made Axe head (which will cost very little) and restore it yourself - you should get away with about £10 and learn some skills. You can use my workshop if you like.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
By a double bit because you won't find one to restore at a cheap price over here. Then buy a good 3lb English made Axe head (which will cost very little) and restore it yourself - you should get away with about £10 and learn some skills. You can use my workshop if you like.

That's a plan! I think I'll go with the double bit, I'll have to get the house move over with first, but it is beckoning me! I think,you're spot on with getting a cheaper head here, I don't think I could bring myself to set about a really valuable bit, but if it was a tender then It would be perfect. And cheers mate, it would be fab to learn to re handle properly- then I could start to get more axes- and that's always good! :D

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Thought I might as well put the kindling to good use in the dustbin lid fire bowl I knocked up recently. :)

Shame I've already cooked my dinner. !

Cheers, Paul

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
You don't need a reason for a fire!

Yup
a6eqyzuh.jpg

Nailed Horbury Bridge rapids .....wooooooo

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex

I seem to recall seeing one very much like that recently Paul.........................:)

If I'd have known I could of taken down an SFA and a wildlife hatchet for you to have a play with a couple of weekends ago.

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I may have borrowed the idea Steve, it's true, lacking some of Longstrider's rabbits for it though !!! :)

Cheers, Paul

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
So, the new Bushman axe arrived at the end of the week :)

Haven't put it to any heavier work yet, but been using it for tidying up some large branches before cutting with the bow saw for firewood, and a bit of light chopping of the thinner branches, feels good to use, heavy enough to be effective without needing to be swung heavily but light enough to be comfortable using one handed.

Played at a bit of spoon carving too and surprisingly good for that, being able to choke right up on it I was able to use it very accurately and effectively.

So very pleased indeed with it so far, will try a bit of heavier chopping and splitting later in the day/weekend if it stops raining long enough !

Cheers, Paul

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Wish I hadn't got rid of my husky hatchet I much prefer it to the GB hand hatchet as it has a thicker handle

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
A very useful sized axe that - be interested in your thoughts after the heavier work.

Been cutting up some more firewood this week and put the Bushman axe to a bit more work, splitting a few rounds of seasoned/semi-seasoned sycamore, apple, hawthorn and other woods, nothing major, typically around 10" long and 6 to 8" diameter, not hugely gnarly stuff but not entirely clean and easy stuff either. Very impressed indeed, the more I use this axe the more I like it, an effective splitter for small to medium stuff it was a pleasure to use, obviously won't do the job of a large maul, but seems to be a great all round medium sized axe for general camp and garden duties, very pleased with it :)

Cheers, Paul

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sounds like a great axe :). Its a size I find pleasing to use for all but the heaviest of work - I enjoy a Scandinavian Forest Axe in use and my 2lb Double Bit Cruiser axe even more. I hope you have a lot of fun with it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE