Which 80+L packpack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
cyclops Vulcan 2 the best bergan ever made

only getting rid of mine (had it since 92) as i dont need a bulk load carrier any more and was given a nice small replacement
my mate took mine on several Norway tours for arctic training etc and it has a small rip and the elastic in the lid has perished but thats about it

one word of warning buut is the same on most bergans if you fly them tape em up as teh straps get cault on everything i neh airport convayer system

ATB

Duncan

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
one word of warning buut is the same on most bergans if you fly them tape em up as teh straps get cault on everything i neh airport convayer system

ATB

Duncan

Or put them in a duffel/holdall. Protects the whole bag, and can put a single lock on it to help prevent anyone having a casual rummage through it.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Got a feeling that they are still made out in the east - could be wrong though.

I have that feeling too, though the boxes they come in have German writing on them.
Why do PRI continue with the brand? Quite simple, Karrimor SF have a strong brand image still and a good reputation with the military buyer. Most people who buy the bags understand that they are a different proposition to the 'civvy' Karrimor stuff.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I have that feeling too, though the boxes they come in have German writing on them.
Why do PRI continue with the brand? Quite simple, Karrimor SF have a strong brand image still and a good reputation with the military buyer. Most people who buy the bags understand that they are a different proposition to the 'civvy' Karrimor stuff.

German, interesting... Deuter would be the largest German manufacturer.

EdS

Lifted straight from PRI website (highlighted by me)

As designers, manufacturers (through our manufacturing partners),

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Hmmm, I would have thought the Recon pack was too high for use as a military pack. Looks good though, must add to xmas list.

Its more wide than high.

I'm a fairly small person, 1,7 meters height, with a short upperbody.
The Recon pack isn't any higher than halfway up my neck (and then im talking about the outer frame. The actual pack sits just a few cm's below the frame)
The bottom sits nicely right above my bum, allthough you can roll up the bottom room, and tighten it in, allowing for a standard issue yoke and combat-gear sitting underneath instead.

Its a great pack for use in forested areas, and i can't tell you how many hours i have spent crawling around in danish lowcut pinewood forests with that sack on, so no worries about "rideheight" of the thing ;)

(However as stated earlier, i own the actual model that was made for and with special-forces use and needs, and not the more civvy version you can buy now, So i will offcourse receive no complaints about missing or wrong info on the newest version whatsoever ;):D )

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
Another vote for the Sabre 75+

I've got both the 75+ and the Sabre Delta 35. They are excellent packs, very well made and are constructed out of really durable material.

My son has a Karrimor Cheetah 60-80 and I have to say that although the fabric isn't as robust as mine, the pack is pretty good with some very sensible features and represtns a good compromise between durability and value at £100.

In my opinion most non military packs are becoming increasingly feeble and the is probably due to two factors:

1. The obsession the outdoor press in North America and the UK have about lightweight equipment. Lightweight means lack of durability in my opinion;

2. Manufacturers (of whom the outdoor magazines are merely the marketing agencies) want you to buy lightweight because instead of buying a rucksack and it lasting half a lifetime, it will have to be replaced every five years!

I still use my Lowe Alpine (made in Ireland) that I bought in 1983 and it's still going strong.

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
Have used a Lowe and found it not tough enough,stiching started to go around shoulder straps after a while.
Berghaus are good,but find them not as comfortable as some other packs.though basic fool proof design.
Current pack is a Sabre80-100,find it tough and comfortable,highly rate it.Purchased 2 years ago.Very satisified with the workmanship on it.

Used both the Lowe and the Berghaus during military service and they were subjected to extreme use/abuse.Most durable rucksack used was the issued framed Bergan,virtually indestructable but very uncomfortable.

I agree with the comment about lightweight not being strong,none of these packs were what you could call light compared with civillian versions.I have had 2 Lowe sacks(the lightest in weight) and both had problems with stiching,maybe i was just unlucky with this brand.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
So basically PRI make the gear and sell it under the Karrimor SF name right?

And what's being said now is that PRI don't actually make the packs themselves, but 'sub-contract' the work out to someone else???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE