Where to get Naptha based panel wipe for a stove in the Belfast area??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Hi, is there anyone here from Northern Ireland who uses a liquid fuel stove with Naptha based panel wipe or even Aspen 4T as a fuel??

I hear it is basically the same thing as the branded white gas but at a fraction of the price.

i just don't know where over here i can get it

Any info greatly appreciated!

Peter

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
here's two you could try,

Autokleen....02890 466090....ask for the operations manager, he may be able to help.

S.M. Designs ( carrickfergus ) 028 9336 8980....worth a call.

if you have no luck there, give me a shout and i'll try and dig up some more numbers.

Robbi

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
After months of trying to get Aspen 4T in the Midlands I gave up. The manufacturer and the local dealers gave me a real runaround.

Eventually I found a product called brake cleaner which is a very light fraction, almost pure heptane, and I mix it about 50/50 with something like lamp oil to get the right weight for my petrol stoves. Just don't tell them that you're going to burn it or they get HMCE problems.

Read the MSDS for anything you use.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Thanks Ged, where do you get the brake cleaner from? i just did a quick web search and it only seems to come in aerosol form in 400ml or less, lamp oil seems easy to get hold of, what is lamp oil made of?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Thanks Ged, where do you get the brake cleaner from? i just did a quick web search and it only seems to come in aerosol form in 400ml or less, lamp oil seems easy to get hold of, what is lamp oil made of?

The brake cleaner is from here: http://www.achem.co.uk/

They sell it in 5-litre containers, I paid about 8 quid about a year ago but I think it's a bit more expensive now. Shipping to Belfast could be a problem but I bet there's a company near you that sells something similar.

Lamp oil is more or less deodorized paraffin. You can adjust the mix to suit the ingredients and the stove. First I tried the brake cleaner on its own, but it's too light and the stoves don't burn properly. The flame doesn't seem to attach to the burner and will blow itself out. After mixing in bit of something heavier it's fine.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I use the panel wipe in my Coleman stove. Works fine. No idea where you'll find it over your way but I simply looked up car paint suppliers on yellow pages and found a place in Gloucester. Just wandered in and back out with a 5 litre can. I'm sure there will be a similar place near you.

Gareth

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
ok iv got some hexane based panel wipe, does anybody know if this is the right stuff? iv tried burning it in the stove, it burns nice and clean and primes much quicker, but i wouldnt be able to tell if its burning as hot as the likes of paraffin or the coleman white gas, has anybody used this stuff? its made by a company called tetrasyl

ged

Jul 16, 2009
ok iv got some hexane based panel wipe, does anybody know if this is the right stuff? iv tried burning it in the stove, it burns nice and clean and primes much quicker, but i wouldnt be able to tell if its burning as hot as the likes of paraffin or the coleman white gas, has anybody used this stuff? its made by a company called tetrasyl

It's probably the right stuff, but I'd want to know what else was in it before burning a lot of it, especially if I might breathe in (or eat) the combustion products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane

If you have any difficulty keeping the burner alight I'd suggest mixing it with a little paraffin, but if it burns OK then use it as it is.

Have you got the Material Safety Data Sheet? The seller should give you one if you ask for it.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
It seems to burn fine with a nice blue flame, no sooting either, the product sheet can be viewed here:

http://www.tetrosyl.com/clients/www.tetrosyl.com/assets/Pdf/Refinishing_MSDS/Pre-wipe_Degreaser.pdf

What u recon?

It looks like pure hexane. The warnings are pretty standard. All these sorts of things are known to be very damaging to the environment, especially to aquatic organisms, and it's known to be seriously harmful if you inhale it or have it on your skin for long periods. So don't pour it down the drain (it must be at least five quid a gallon so you won't be doing that:)), don't breathe it in and don't wash your hands with it. Pure hexane produces nothing but carbon dioxide and water if it's burned with enough oxygen so there shouldn't be anything to worry about when it's being burned properly. A blue flame is good evidence that it's being burned with enough oxygen. :)

Looks good. How much was it? I might try some myself. :)

You mentioned the heat output in an earlier post, best thing to do to compare it with other fuels is to time boiling a kettle or something. My guess is that you'll get slightly less power from the burner with the panel wipe than with paraffin but I wouldn't put money on it. It doesn't matter very much, it probably won't be vastly different. Using my patent mix I reckon on four or five minutes (depends on the weather!) to boil my small kettle with about a pint of water on the Optimus 111B, a little bit longer with the Nova which doesn't seem to be quite so powerful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE