Burning U-POL Panel Wipe in the Coleman 533 Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Hi Guys,

I have gone through 2 bottles of coleman fuel and its not cheap. Ive looked into an alternative and panel wipe came up. People saying get panel wipe with naphtha as its the same ingredient.
I did ask my mate to try and get me some, he turned up with a tin of U-POL panel wipe. I did read someone had burned this in his stove, but I couldn't find a video on it, so I though I would give it a go.

I have put together a video burning panel wipe in the coleman 533.

http://youtu.be/FmHCuPEIIQg

Thanks
Mark

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nice video. Saw the generator heat up at about 5:00, figured you were well away to good heat after that.

I see that you have the Coleman Unleaded 533. Over here, I could siphon the unleaded gas (petrol) out of my truck to run that stove.
In comparison, what difference is there in using petrol at your place?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've used panel wipe for about twenty years, works fine.

UK unleaded is full of crap so if you can stand the smell and the need to replace stove/lamp generators frequently then try it.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
I have used unleaded petrol in my Northstar lantern and it needs a strip down and new parts the fuel has clogged it up over time, the coleman fuel / panel wipe is supposed to give a cleaner burn.

Thanks. :beerchug:

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I run my coleman lantern, my svea 123r and my zippo lighter AND hand warmers on Panelwipe. Leaves no residue or gunk, is 10x cheaper than branded coleman fuel, which is the same stuff.

+1 for panel wipe.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Thanks for the info and links on this - I've been using unleaded with a dash of carb/injector cleaner in my Coleman stoves and lantern. Certainly much less "varnish" on the generators than unleaded alone but I'll definitely be giving panel wipes a go! 😀

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Thanks for the link. I've been using Aspen 4t in all my stoves and it's more expensive than that panel wipe. I'll give that a go when the current batch of fuel runs out.
Russ

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for the info and links on this - I've been using unleaded with a dash of carb/injector cleaner in my Coleman stoves and lantern. Certainly much less "varnish" on the generators than unleaded alone but I'll definitely be giving panel wipes a go! 

Panel wipe is superb stuff. As you know, designed to wipe down clean metal to allow paint to adhere to the surface. It really has to be clean and residue free to do this. Can't go wrong using it in a stove.

Many years ago, my dad was a veterinary surgeon and suggested surgical spirit would be a good, clean fuel for my Trangia. It clogged the burner holes with sticky gunk to such an extent it made the burner useless.

norfolkjohn

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2010
norwich norfolk
I was given a peak 1, 442 stove. and i've just purchased 5ltr of upol panel wipe. and having seen it in action first hand. Works well. Although next time i will see if i can get it cheaper, £24.00 for a 5 Litre can from my local car accessory shop.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
According to a mega stove enthusiast I met he doesn’t use panel wipe in anything, reckons it burns hotter and causes damage over time. He uses Aspen Blue. It’s about £20 for 5ltrs and is identical to Coleman Fuel.

Here is a pic of his shop, he knows his stuff.

CD9-C2-ADB-7101-400-A-9221-BA87-EB4-D9698.jpg

C38-DF8-D6-66-A6-4-C06-B9-E4-D4261764-E245.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Aspen blue? Is that the same as aspen 4t by any chance?

Yep, the 4 stroke version, comes in a blue can. I don’t know enough about Aspen to know if there’s a 4 and a 4t though.

The guy in Littlehampton is old school, a serious lover of anything stove and lamp. He even has a couple of clothes irons that run petrol!

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/

While I was there he warned me off panel wipe for long term use, and also showed me why an ancient Vapalux needed a new vaporiser because it had always used Tilley mantles, causing the lamp to run a bit hot and damaging it over time.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thought it might be - the blue can made me think it.

It does work well.

I need to sort out some means of carrying smaller amounts of fuel for a sensible cost - the 5 litre bottle is a precious space when packing the car and the bottle isn't full (or all needed!)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Looks good. Always that reluctance to spend money as I need a couple - so many things to buy! Just bought new running shoes and want to finally sort a bandsaw out. Going for a self build so sourcing a motor (or trying to)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE