Coleman stove advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I paid a visit to my brother in law today and he gave me a Coleman 533 unleaded stove.It has been sat in his shed for 10 years,it was given to him by a friend who had it for a few years too.Neither of them could get it to work and he said he'd be amazed if I could get it to work but if I could It was mine.
I pumped it up and lit it as per the instructions on the side,it works perfectly.Neither he nor his friend had opened the pump valve before pumping:togo:.
Now to my question,the stove has on it "unleaded".the newer stoves have "dual fuel".I know the dual fuel refers to unleaded petrol and coleman fuel/white gas.So I'm assuming that the "unleaded version will also burn white gas,coleman fuel , panel wipe and aspen 4T .Am I correct or should I just stick to unleaded?

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I've had one for 15 years now. I haver always used unleaded in it but have been told it's advisable to run it occasionally on the Coleman fluid to ensure it doesn't "gum up"
Brilliant bit of kit. One of the fastest boilers I've used.
May have one coming up for sale soon as a friend is selling some gear

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I've had them before ,but they always were dual fuel.I was just wondering about the fact it said unleaded instead of both.
My favourite stove has always been the MSR whisperlite internationale but I'm getting a bit weary of the seperate fuel bottle now.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There is a difference between American unleaded and the stuff we sell in the UK, stick to panel wipe or the 4T. Be sure to read the instructions, oil the pump before you try it out and light it OUTDOORS first time.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I paid a visit to my brother in law today and he gave me a Coleman 533 unleaded stove.It has been sat in his shed for 10 years,it was given to him by a friend who had it for a few years too.Neither of them could get it to work and he said he'd be amazed if I could get it to work but if I could It was mine.
I pumped it up and lit it as per the instructions on the side,it works perfectly.Neither he nor his friend had opened the pump valve before pumping:togo:.
Now to my question,the stove has on it "unleaded".the newer stoves have "dual fuel".I know the dual fuel refers to unleaded petrol and coleman fuel/white gas.So I'm assuming that the "unleaded version will also burn white gas,coleman fuel , panel wipe and aspen 4T .Am I correct or should I just stick to unleaded?

Coleman do make very good stoves,

I have a 508 and it chuggs along seemingly forever producing lots of heat.

P1010101.jpg

P1010096-1.jpg

Ok to the original question. TBH you can run em on pretty much any petrol type fuel. To my shame I've rum em on LRP with 2 stroke oil added and they run all be it with a sooty flame. The issue with this of course is the generator tube quickly gums up.

I changed the gen tube on my model 400 last week as it was starting to perform poorly the giveaway is taking a long time to warm up and the output drops off. Thus stove had been run soley on Coleman fuel / white gas and after a good while the gen tube packs up.

Your stove will happily run on Aspen/ coleman fuel and the gentube will probably last a bit longer if you use this fuel. I'd get hold of a spare Gen and keep it just in case...

HTH

John

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've had Coleman's Sporsters and the Dual Fuel double burner now for over 20 years and always run them on unleaded 98 fuel I get here in France... The only one that clogged was one I leant to a mate who ran it on kerosene...
The Double burner still sees loads of use for camping, cooking bait for fishing etc....
I've found that a few drops of RedX helps keep them running well.
cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE