Where to get an anvil substitute?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
So I'm pretty much priced out of an actual anvil unfortunately, and I'm wondering what kind of alternatives are available? I went down to our local scrappy today and they had nothing by way or rail track or anything suitable really. Anyone know of where to get hold of some rail track perhaps?

Thanks for any help :)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Someone mentioned recently that a sledge hammer head on a bucket of concrete would do. (Well up to my level of forging!)

Not sure about the round pointy end though.

they seem to sit about £100 on the Bay. What about a farm roup?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I forged a squirrel cooker and used the head of an old splitting maul as an anvil, wants perfect, but it worked.

Hope this helps :).

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Still got the length of rail problem is I'm in Cambridge and as you'll understand postage is a problem!!😉 unless you know someone who travels down near you?

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I did see you had some rail track going, however yes postage would be a little bit of a problem haha! And it seems a fair old way to come as well, which is frustrating.

Anyone know of a source of rail track in the sussex area perhaps? Bit of a longshot I know!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE