Where has all the road kill gone??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
There was a time, a wonderful time, down in our neck of the woods when many road journeys would involve driving passed/ picking up of deer that had been conveniently clipped and left roadside.
The last few months have seen a massive drop in the number of deer left after collisions? Has anyone else noticed this? What’s going on? Deer populations are through the roof in Dorset yet NO road kill??:confused:
Have people started to realise the value of venison? Could it be that more people are becoming less squeamish about eating such meat? My freezer is getting empty!:)

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
The wife and I have had many a roadside deer and have noticed similar.

I think enough people have realised how much expensive meat is involved.

I think it is people getting smarter, not the deer.

Alex

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
No, actually, the deer have evolved to a point where not only they are to smart to get hit by a car. They also eat roadkill themselves now, therefore there is a strong decline in the amount of roadkill. Does that make any sense?:)

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I have noticed the same arond my area, not even and rabbits!!
There is usually loads alought most are noncollectable ....too much squish lol

Did manage to get my first squirrel the other day, the car in front of me clipped it on a back road and i picked it up with no damage for its fur.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Red Kites have made an impact on roadkill around here, there's very little left on the roads. They seem to be getting much braver with the traffic, I've had quite a few close calls recently.

Very few bunnies get squished now either, it used to be hard not to iron a rabbit in the small hours a few years ago.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I'm no expert on this, maybe one of the hunters around here can tell us more. The deer seem more dosile and inclined to hang around thick pine plantations, I noticed under low lying pine and thick grass you get flat spots where they have been huddled. Its most likley food linked but I dont know enough about this!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Tufty has been out in the woods teaching them road safety...
tufty.jpg

I've not noticed any decline in roa kill (especially Badgers). Up my road I have to drive about 20mph as I probably would hit a Deer if I went any faster (venison isn't worth loosing the motor). The last Deer I had was strung up on a Barbed wire fence, killing it was the most humane thing to do as infection / stress / blood loss would have killed it anyway. What I have noticed is though that with the increase in numbers of Foxes, Corvids and Raptors, so they might just be cleaning up before you get there.

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
It's the dog soldiers.

Liked that one a lot and to think I was just passing the aviemore turn off on A9 when I read that. Made me look out into the -10 moonlit frosty woodlands. Stuff the "tiredness kills" signs we know that! Put some "beware Werewolf crossing" signs up that would keep ya awake :))

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I would say that alot of deer related road deaths are higher at certain times of the year. most likely cause is when the young have been pushed out to find there own territory ,especially in roe as the young are still learning I know adults cop it as well but from my area its often yearling /younger animals or when rutting is on the bucks/stags get pushed around and are more prone to be thinking from between their legs and not being as cautious as normal,atb wayne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE