Where Does your Username Come from

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 24, 2007
Mine is a pseudonym I use when registering software that I suspect will deluge me with spam. Also my real name was already in use on gmail.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
As my mother was a Beetle fanatic in her youth I was named after George Harrison. As a kid I never quite forgave her for this as I grew up on the Isle of Lewis where I always wanted to be named Murdo (my middle name).

Finally got over that and as my Gran always calls me Seoras I have stuck with that. Seoras (pronounced Shoras) is Celtic/Gaelic (yes you have guessed correctly) for George.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
There was an old western on and there was this old trapper/ mountain man character called Jedadiah (Son called Jed, Mountain Man called Jedadiah) This character seemed wise yet not arrogant, confident not bullish and just seemed to be the type of guy i'd like to spend time with (don't read anymore into that than is meant)

So not in a Brokeback Mountain way then Jed?

:lmao: :sad6: :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Mix of online gaming and uncles naming me as a kid (big close family and yes i know im lucky ;) )

Started with Ed as when i was a kid all my uncles said i looked like Eddie munster :( lol

Then it became Edwardo rodregez as i was allways the first to be killed on online games (the un known bloke who always dies first in films is allways called reodregez or sumthin :rolleyes:

Then edwardo became dwardo ! bet you wished you had never asked......

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
When setting up a user name for the network at my last place of work I needed to have 2 initials followed by my surname. I only have 1 first name so "x" was used as my middle initial. Hence my username on here and elsewhere sxmolloy. Very boring I'm afraid.

ATB....Stu

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
mines fairly simple really,
BIG - I'm 6'6" tall and big built
DADDY - I'm a dad of 2 girls
MERC - I drive a old Mercedes 190E

and plus I couldn't think of anything else

My 'normal' name (Johan van Dijk) is a pain with spelling in most of my international contacts (speaking that is... not typing duh...)

Plus, after roaming for 2,5 years I feel I was born 2 roam... ah well... I think it had a nice edge to it.

Plus Born To Run is one of Springsteens best songs but completely OT here ;-)

Grtz Johan

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
MOAB

Because its easy to spell

I think it's the name of a bomb developped by the us army also... it was baptized Mother Of All Bombs

As for my username, well, it uses a part of my real name and as I was in the crafting theme, I tought it didn't sound too bad.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
The Border Reivers were a bunch of raiders who stole cattle and sheep in the border area between Scotland and England.They were mainly Family based and raided indiscriminately in either Scotland or England.

They have been sanitised by the various Tourist Boards and are now sold as " colourful characters" to the tourists.

I'm from the Scottish Border area,so I adopted the name.The spelling is correct BTW.:p

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm lucky enough to work with wild Barn Owls (under license etc) and it was the first thing to come into my head when registering.
Tom.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Mine came from a character from a series of books called the executioner, the main character is called Mack Bolan and his call sign is StonymanOne, I'm a big fan of the books and have used Stonyman as my username for a while, my avatar is the man himself Mack Bolan.

Is that the series with the old Korean as his master ?

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
There are quite a few reasons as to why I chose -Switch-.
I'd liked the name for a few years for, like I said, various reasons but it culminated in me being drunk one night and insisting my friends call me Switch :eek: The next day I made my first visit to a chatroom on the website of one of my favourite bands and needed a name. I always logged in as Switch after that but a few regulars there complained that I was always at the bottom of the list of active members and they couldn't see at a glance if I was logged in or not. So that was where -Switch- came from... the 'dashes' put me at the top of the active users list on that site.

That was about 7 years ago now and everything I've ever logged onto on the net since then has been as -Switch-. Apart from BB where I forgot the dashes and now I can't change it :(

So that's where -Switch- comes from.
As to what it means... well that's a whole other story ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE