Where Does your Username Come from

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dynamite Dan

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 19, 2007
BlackBurn, Lancashire
I get Dynamite Dan, from my on line gaming history, somebody once told me i was Dynamite in a helicopter, so i called myself Dynamite Dan, it has been my on line identity ever since.

As a coincidence, there used to be a very popular platform game on the Spectrum called the same.

What are the origins of your Forum name?

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
Mine came from a character from a series of books called the executioner, the main character is called Mack Bolan and his call sign is StonymanOne, I'm a big fan of the books and have used Stonyman as my username for a while, my avatar is the man himself Mack Bolan.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This came up once before on a forum somewhere, it may have been here, so I hope I give the same reason as last time!

It basically occured in Oman when I was in the forces. I have had a number of nicknames, the most obvious being Spam, most being based around my surname. I even liked some of them!

One of the guys decided that if i got a bit lonely in the desert, and if I was that way inclined (I'm not!), the offspring I would have from mating with a camel would be a Spamel! I think it was that or the gladiator night that decided that particular nickname.

The Squadron Bar was prepped for a gladiatorial night of fun and games, anybody not arriving in gladiator garb would be made to walk the slippery pole over a tank of water. So, our Troop got dressed up as gladiators, but not the Ridley Scott swords and spears type, no no! We went for the Wolf, Jet, and all the rest of them types, but we were all seriously lacking in looks and muscles!

We all got given tight shorts and vests bought from the Omani shops and naff gladiator names and mine was Spamel! None of us had to walk the pole apart from one, as he was an old fart and looked more like the guy who blows the whistle so that was who he went as! Not, strictly speaking, a gladiator!

U

unused[nl]

I once wanted to throw away my America's Army account (free online first person shooter) and I named it something like: unusednotneededpleasedelete after a few weeks I restarted and shortened it up to unused. After awhile I started playing an other game and unused was already in use.. so I thought just put [nl] behind because.. well I am from the Netherlands!

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
errm, i'm a bit of a Terry Pratchett fan and well, I couldn't get my usual nickname (Harry ... see sig) so went for my second choice .. Twoflower is one of the best characters in all the Pratchett books.

My handle on here is the same as on SOTP, Inspiration it came from a book I was reading about native indian mysticism and the passage went onto describe the spirit of the person drifted through the woods like woodsmoke,and I guess having worked and lived in the woods and never having stayed around any one place for too long and always cooking on open fires, it stuck. It was not until many years later that I discovered that the name was already in use as a course...:p I was first!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I try to be tactful, so much so that many fail to realise that I don't actually agree with them; I'm just trying to understand their point of view. On occasions this gets to a point where I'm asked 'Why didn't you.......?'. If the inference is blame, they get 'told' :twak: . This has given me a reputation for being as tactful as a falling brick. decorum seemed to fit the bill. :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
On some subjects I consider myself to be a master, hence my normal forum name “master[insert appropriate forum name] and by coincidence lots of my usernames on many other boards i visit are amphibian related, (a habit that comes from my daughters name, Frogmela)
With regards the subject of bushcraft I am still just a baby, so tadpole seem quite apt.:D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Because I love the rain falling on my tarp or tent when I'm nodding off to sleep. Generally when it's peeing down you have the woods to yourself and everything smells fresh and new. It's great to get inside a holly bush or set up the tarp for a brew and just sit and watch it falling in the daytime too.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Because I love the rain falling on my tarp or tent when I'm nodding off to sleep. Generally when it's peeing down you have the woods to yourself and everything smells fresh and new. It's great to get inside a holly bush or set up the tarp for a brew and just sit and watch it falling in the daytime too.

I'm all for that :D

Obviously no story to my u/n.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I can never think of a good nickname for forums, so I just tend to use my family name.

I have wondered about changing my forum name (I know it can be changed) but do people then have to learn me as a new person? I suppose I could change the name to something like Geoff_was_dgcalvert and then in a few months change it to Geoff (except that Geoff is already taken).

Geoff

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I tried my name and my nickname but they were not accepted or where already taken. I tried to think of something witty and memorable but as i have the personality and imagination of windsock i was flumoxed!

Just then, my 10 month old son called Jed crawled over and switched the TV on. There was an old western on and there was this old trapper/ mountain man character called Jedadiah (Son called Jed, Mountain Man called Jedadiah) This character seemed wise yet not arrogant, confident not bullish and just seemed to be the type of guy i'd like to spend time with (don't read anymore into that than is meant), I merely mean that, if I was to run into this guy or someone like him, in a pub on a lunchtime session, i felt that when i left, my life would be richer for having met him. I also feel that my life is already richer for meeting my son, Jed.

So there you go, Jedadiah it is. However, when he starts using this forum in a couple of months time :D , he's going to have to come up with a name as i've got his!;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE