Where do you keep your kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi all
I am looking for some ideas as to where to store my small gear
like knifes axe flint lighters saw cord torches etc. So i was wondering what you guys did ? do you have it in a box a draw a bag?.
It is so i can keep all my stuff together and know exactly where it is.

Swagman

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I did keep it all in a large chest in the front room, but now its all store in two four draw
filing cabinets with labels ont draws and rucks kept on top,work well and easy to locate stuff,

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i keep all my kit up in my loft, i have a scrap locker from work laid horizontal so it looks like an ottoman which all my clothing, sleeping bags etc go into. i also have a shelf unit up there for dvds which is where all my sharps , cookers, mess kits etc.
works well for me cos it keeps all the potentially dangerous stuff away from my kids.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Got a spare drawer style toolbox that never had tools in. Works really well as plenty of good sized drawers. Lockable too so great to keep sharps safe.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I'm quite lucky(unlucky?) in this respect as i dont have much kit so all of my kit fits into my bergen (thanks southey) i know where it all is as ive packed it in specific places for ease/order of access. When its not being used my pack is still packed and before i use it i unpack and repack just to make sure its all there!!

Dave

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I have some clear plastic boxes about the size of medium removal cardboard boxes stacked in the loft. They were from the DIY store about 8 quit.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Big set of shelving in my study, with boxes and all of my kit kind of sorted in to the right box.
Where do others keep there sleeping bags? I have 2 of mine in the airing cupboard unrolled, but they are big and bulky and keep fallign out of the airing cupboard. Any one got any good ideas for storage of the sleeping bag ?

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
2 large plastic boxes and 2 medium ones under the bed, top of the wardrobe, inside the wardrobe and shed! I've a box of rat pack meals which lives in the larder. I have 2 spare rooms, but two munchkins appear to have commadeered them :lmao:

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I keep my sleeping bag in the dedicated big nylon/ mesh sack, so it retains the loft.

Also, Therm-A-Rest is kept unrolled (standing upright wedged between wall and shelf) with the valve open.

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
I keep the majority of my kit in one of these. Other bits and bobs in big stacking tough crates - clothing actually in the wardrobe as I do wear it that often.

bott-aluminium-case-a833-676-p%5Bekm%5D420x240%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Info here - http://uk.farnell.com/bott/2501004/case-aluminium-a840/dp/7239968

If i'm going away, I rampack the ally case with all that is necessary. Dump it in the back of the showgun, then depending on what i'm doing at destination, the case comes with me - or I pack required bits into a bergen and go light.

I LOVE IT - SO VERSATILE (if a little big)

Polecat

Sep 28, 2010
London
Quick warning about cats & thermarest-type mats. They don't mix. I found this out to my cost, when sharp little claws trashed a perfectly good newish mat. Ouch.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Most of my kit is kept in an insulated shipping container which is ventilated. Sacs, ropes, axes etc all on hooks, the mats, tents, bivi bags, tarps all on shelves. Stoves and associated catering gear are in a filling cabinet, other drawers have torches and other smaller items, boots and footwear on shelves and some big trunks and BDH barrels for other stuff.
Sleeping bags are kept hanging loose in the loft area next to the bedroom, other kit that gets used frequently, knives, torch etc; are on hand round the house.

Polecat

Sep 28, 2010
London
A good cheap option is the Highlander Loader Holdalls. Come in various sizes, (30,45,60,100ltr) and they have foldaway rucksack staps, so you can carry it that way, if need be. Keeps everything tidy, and the dust off.

budgetbus

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2010
Nuneaton
In two packs, one bug out type set up :p one camping set up, the rest is in plastic boxes under the bed, and in my permanent set up in my camper van :)
Oh and my response pack is always packed.

I guess i fall into the paranoid preparedness freak :eek: lol

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
loft for stuff i'm not mucking about with. sleeping bags are in a duvet case under the boy's bed. everything else is in boxes and and bags in the loft, clothing is in my drawer under the bed and one in the chest of drawers. a multitude of smocks hang in the hallway.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Some great ideas .
I was thinking of getting a fatmax tool bag with lots of pockets. thanks for the ideas.

Swagman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE