Where did you get your Emberlit Fireant Ti stoves from?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This is directed at folk in the uk as i dont fancy the postage and being hit for import duty etc but where did people get their Emberlit Fireant titanium stoves from please?

I've had a Emberlit UL for a while but I'm looking for something smaller and that will take a meths burner as well as twigs to go under a USGI style mug in the light weight brew kit im building.

Cheers!

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well no one seams to know where to get a Fireant in the UK so I made a small mod to my Emberlit UL to hold a Evernew meths burner.

F6fs4YC.jpg

Knowing where the sweet spot is I drilled two pairs of holes in the side plates to take a U shaped bit of wire so the base of the burner was the right distance from where the bottom of the pan will be in use. Unfortunately this meant that the cross pieces were sitting proud of the 4 sides when it was assembled with the burner in place. However this worked out to my advantage as the small indentations in the bottoms of the cross pieces I filed in act to hold the burner in the centre of the stove where I want it to be.

ovovI34.jpg

The Fireant uses the ring around a Trangia burner to hold it in place in the s;ot on each side of the stove so if I wanted to use that to hold a Evernew burner I would have to cut a suitble washer to drop it in and that may not put the burner at the right height anyway. More likely I would have to make a insert with cranked tongues on each side to go in the slots in the stoves sides.

ATB

Tom

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
:thumbsup: looks good so far, it might be that some adjustment on the height of the burner might be needed or then maybe not. Please tell how it works!

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, i'll give it a test burn later today. I hope the heights just about right, I experimented a fair bit when I was making the disastrous aluminium cross stand that melted as soon as you took the heat sink of the pot full of water off it. I dont think it will need raising and if it needs lowering it will be easy enough to make a cranked down version of the U shaped double pin and if I'm carefull the down and up parts of the pin will hold the burner in the centre. Making the undercarriages of my silly retro balsa and tissue planes means I'm quite good at bending wire and have plenty of piano wire and bending jigs.

I also had a look at the dimensions of factory made mk 2 Cross stand and my cheap steel clone and that places the burner the same distance from the base of the pan.

I suppose I could make one for the Trangia but I've not carried that heavy lump of brass since I got the Evernew.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
DHL are delivering myshiny new Helikon Essential kitbag between 5 and 6 ( yup its the end of the line out here) so ill find out if hehe UL fits in it. I suspect I may need to make a new case for it, a bit narrower than the one that came with it but thats no biggy. I'll do a readers wives shot when its all set up.

Atb

Tom.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I'll see if I can get more of my xmas present early....

Anyroad, I'm really impressed with the Kitbag that arrived earlier than they said and Ive worked out what to carry in it and will keep it ready to go less water.

OnyyCsz.jpg

I'll replace the small ground sheet with a orange on one side green on the other signal panel for sitting on and table cloth duties and attach it to the D ring or maybe on the strap.

PVYzcaw.jpg

Theres enough space to wedge in one dehydrated meal but since I'm intending to use a haversack as well if im going for a walk long enough to merit food i can keep it in that anyway. I need to find a long handled spork that folds in half to eat out of the bag with. All mine are slightly too long to fit inside.

bVTewIM.jpg

The Emberlit UL just fits in the back pocket minus a case, I'll just have to wipe the crud off before I put it away. The cross stand and U wires i put inside the bag as there's a tiny chance of them falling out. A fire ant would fit better.

cHickam.jpg

Here's the contents layout. The Ally K&M match safe I cut down to take my favourite strike anywhere kitchen matches and not rattle but the main reason was so it fit into a pouch I was using at the time. The little brass tube among the matches fits tightly over the end of that sort of match so i can poke it deep into the nest of kindling.

The white oblong is a wonder sponge or whatever they are called, great for cleaning pans without soap, I just slice off however big a piece I want to carry

The green cloth is a pure linen bandana i made for the youngest from left overs from a sewing project, somebody on SG-1 wore on. When it resurfaced I claimed it back.

vgM0OUO.jpg

I tried a test burn out front, there was a bit of a breeze but it boiled a pint as fast as I could hope a meths stove to, unfortunately I double tapped the old school stop watch so cant give you a exact time. It would work better with a round based pan as kidney shaped canteens aint the best thing to heat up with a round burner but it will do.

KM1SIFK.jpg

The sun was quite strong so I couldnt get a shot of the blue flames from the two sets of holes very well.

If I get a Fireant to further save bulk I may drop the meths burner and fuel and just pack a few packs of Green heat or similar, that would give me more space to carry more snap or some hygiene items. I'm intending to use twigs most of the time anyway.

ATB

Tom

PS Herselfs trying to order me a Fireant but the sites not playing ball.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I did a couple of Emberlit group buys a few years ago when Mik first started up. I haven't been in touch for a ages but if there was enough interest I’d be happy to see about getting some more imported hopefully at a little less cost?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Herself has tried buying one from survival depot a couple of times but each time it fails when she gets to check out. She's tried calling them and emailing but we've heard nowt back.

Thats very kind of you to sort a group buy etc roughly what sort of time does it take to organise as i've never been a part of one?

ATB

Tom

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Herself has tried buying one from survival depot a couple of times but each time it fails when she gets to check out. She's tried calling them and emailing but we've heard nowt back.

Thats very kind of you to sort a group buy etc roughly what sort of time does it take to organise as i've never been a part of one?

ATB

Tom
On the GB, I have no idea because I’d need to gauge interest, contact Mik, come back with prices etc. GBs are a headache, I’m happy to get a price for an amount of say, 10 or 20 stoves here, but less so dealing with the PayPal and postage thing this end. GB cash needs to be paid by the organiser up front, I’m not sure I can do that at the moment.

Personally I’d have no dealings with Survival Depot, he’s let people down in the past.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, thats useful to know.

Yeah we've givenup on Survival Depot. In the old days I had a lot of contacts in the US who could sort me kit but when I stopped trading militaria I lost touch with them. Best of all they were happy to take swaps which worked out well for me.

Atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Turns out herself has ordered me one direct form merkware in the US, the exchange rates a lot better than I thought it was so it worked out as £60.49 with postage. Now to see if we are hit with duty etc.

Atb

Tom

Reactions: Nice65

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Emptied out it makes a excellent little man bag for when I'm in shorts, which tend to fall down if I fill the pockets with all the crud I carry about, having more of a circumference than a waist...

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A day and a half after later and we get a email saying the Fireant is on its way with USPS first class International with a tracking number. If its not here in a week we'll know its been trapped by Pat this end and a week later the pain will come. Still, with postage it was at least 10 quid cheaper than anyone in the UK was selling it when they had them in stock/ where still trading plus what ever postage they wanted, if any.

Atb

Tom

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A day and a half after later and we get a email saying the Fireant is on its way with USPS first class International with a tracking number. If its not here in a week we'll know its been trapped by Pat this end and a week later the pain will come. Still, with postage it was at least 10 quid cheaper than anyone in the UK was selling it when they had them in stock/ where still trading plus what ever postage they wanted, if any.

Atb

Tom
Good to know. I found Mik really good to deal with, a genuine outdoorsman too.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The Ti Fireant arrived while we were out for a bimble and we had nothing extra to pay! RESULT! So we got it for less than anyone in the UK was doing them for, when any one had them.

It fits neatly, in the supplied case, in the pocket inside the main compartment of the essential kit bag or the pocket under the molle straps on the back.

In the same post I got the Helikon Tex Navtel pouch to go on the shoulder strap which frees up a side pocket to take fuel blocks and brew kit. I'll faff about working out the best load for my needs tomorrow.

AtB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here it is, im making a more secure case for it from waxed canvas and velcro, probably do one for the UL as well.

jAACH8a.jpg

As per the makers suggestion I've fettled the raw edges with some fine wet and dry.

I've fitted the Navtel pouch to the strap and that will give me more capacity over all so that I can spend a full day out without much on my belt or in my pockets at all. I may even learn to use the Gamin GPS thing that my middle son gave me several years back!

ONIN7fv.jpg

I'll do a bit of back yard bushcraft to get used to the stove, do some test burns with twigs and Dragon Fire blocks.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I gave up waiting for good weather so between showers today I got familiar with the Fireant and Dragon Fire blocks.

Not having used Dragon Fire much I made a elementary mistake of sitting a block on the solid fuel shelf, which is just about flat. To my dismay the block melted, dripped into the bottom and burned merrily mainly heating up the fuel shelf above. The water got warm enough to make a hot drink but not to ma,e bubbles.

Next I removed the shelf and burned a block , that again melted and spread alloverthe base plate and soon burned out. The pint of water got hotter But still didnt boil.

The need to contain the block had by now become abundantly clear even to me by now so i made a little silver paper mini bread tin affair then dropped the block in and burned it the bottom of the stove, this very nearly did the job but was to low and a lot of heat was wasted.

Finally I did what I should have done the first time, little silver paper case on the fuel shelf. The pint of cold tap boiled and the block kept it at a steady rolling boil for several mintes. I was one happy bunny!

There was no wind and despite the rain it was warm. Not scientific at all but I just wanted to know if thafset up will do what I want in the conditions its going to be used. Most of the time i'll be using twigs anyway.

As a stop gap I've made foil cases around the 2 sealed blocks i will have in my brew kit, i could pack some empty foil bun cases ( i save them for mixing glue etc ) but I quite like the longer than they are wide block shaped ones as that shape works best with the canteen cups base shape. When I've scrounged some thin ally sheet I'll make something longer lasting.

Nice little stove, the residue cleaned off very easily.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
rather then spread bark chippings I faffed the morning away experimenting with different materials to make hearths to take the dragon Fire blocks.

The brass sheet I had was too thick and springy to allow me to do a decent job with my level of metal bashing skills. It was also much heavier and expensive

The ally@sheet was easy to work, just score with a craft knife and snap and should last a few burns. If i get some heat proof glue i'll use it on the seams. I'm not up to soldering ally'

The foil from a take away box was the easiest to work and make liquid proof joints, I'll get some big disposable foil baking trays, they are thicker and the hearths will last longer. Jou just need a oblong of foil and fold it around the sides of a packaged block m pinch the corners closed and fold them over.

P6Bys8S.jpg

I tried using a ally drinks can but the metal was coated both sides so would not heat without that burning had a tendency to want to keep the curve put in during manufacture. corners hammered flat tended to split. no doubt some folk can work with the stuff but to me the game wasn't worth the candle. I binned that one!

The simplest one was made from a recycled jam tart foil thingy ( I'm told "flan case" is the correct name ) just squeezed round a block and the excess bits folded down or crimped over.

a8iKW67.jpg

i used 55 long x 28 wide x 24 mm deep for the size of a block. If I wasnt so lazy I would cut a wooden block that size as a former as the blocks are a bit squishy in the warmth.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE