Where did the word "bimble" come from ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Could it be a bit of local slang that was used by a bootie and then by his squad and hence by his unit?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
"Bummel" is a German word meaning, in the venacular, a slow and leisurely stroll for any or no purpose; when spoken aloud in local dialects it sounds very like "Bimble". Plenty of ways for our military boys to have adopted it through this route, or else as any linguist will tell you German is the mother of English, so it may well be a much older migration; the NE coast of the UK would be a natural point of entry for much old German slang, from the days when fishermen would be stranded in foul weather for longer or shorter periods of time.

Intriguing indeed :)

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Always knew it from the British Army. Often heard from a Senior NCO debriefing a patrol of officer cadets/YOs following a less than stellar performance on a patrol. Also heard during same debrief would be less than complimentary observations about thumbs apparently be left up rear ends etc etc. Oh, the laughs we had........:rant:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"bimble" is a bit wimpy, don't you think? MCFs on an urban fringe stroll...
STRAVAIG is much more bushy, imo

I had to look that one up, wrong side of Scotland I guess.

"...Stravaig, pronounced with the emphasis on the second syllable which is pronounced like vague, means to roam or wander around, often for pleasure and frequently with no particular destination or aim in mind..."

I don't think bimble sounds wimpy, but then I seldom do anything in a wimpy manner, so when I'm bimbling it isn't wimpy. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE