Where can I get a peice of flint for my steel striker?

May 20, 2010
Mirfield
HI - just came back from my first Bushcraft SIG meet and am 'fired-up', literally!. I've ordered a nice steel stirker from Ray Mears' website, but am having trouble locating a suitable piece of flint. I live in the North, so we don't have much flint lying around as I remember during my Kentish childhood. Can anyone advise?
Thanks
Alex

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Builders merchants or garden centres often have stone for paving, which even though it has been tumbled to get rid of too many sharp edges, is still worth a look. If you get desperate, I'm sure you'll be able to buy some on-line, but other stone such as quartz works for me - half the fun is in trying things out to find what works.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you really want some flint and don't want to look for alternatives as Ogri suggested I can go down the local farm fields and pick up a load for you.

All you have to do is say how much and pay the postage :)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
is anyone taking some flint to the moot we could all have a bit then regards dave

Dynamite_1303

Feb 25, 2009
North Yorkshire
It depends on how far 'up t'north' you are, but if you can find your way to the north-eastern coast, predominantly around Crimdon Dene, there is a nice natural deposit of pretty high quality flint just sitting on the beach there. All redeposited in the last 50 years through tidal activity and river migrations inland, but some good grade black hard stuff. I've had more than a few strikes from it!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Went to the coast near Crimdon Dene today on the way back from 5 days camping on the Wall. We found a few nice bits but unfortunately we had to leg it as the tide was coming in, I was hungry and the wind was so strong it nearly had all 18 stone of me off my feet and I had to tie my Balmoral on (Yes folks I've actually been wearing it in public). It was a good job the kids were all carrying lumps of rock or they would have ended up in Holland!

Cheers for the tip off anyroad!

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE