When......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
My daughter's only 5 but I've already started getting her interested in nature. yesterday we had a good day at the beach learning what all the different sea shells came from and we've also looked in rock pools to see what's swimming around.

A good place to get info is the woodland trust who have downloadable activity and learning packs for kids

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/learning-kids/Pages/children.aspx

Thanks for the link :)

FGYT, gods forbid you use your ability of critical thought to decide when and where you use your lights!

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
"Parents relying on schools to teach everything"

My 5 yr old son will be going to 'big' school in Aug. From the day he broke up he has asked every morning - "Am I going to school today" ! - I have no idea where he's got his liking for school from or why he wakes up at 5.00 - 6.30 everyday [not much of a problem I my WAY earlier - because I have to be, NOT because I want to be]

The first time I picked him up from NURSERY he wanted to show me a picture he'd drawn on the 'white board' - only to find out its a projector screen hooked up to a computer which he knew how to control !!! quite scary stuff.

He knows how to turn on/off my laptop - and has once altered the password! access the internet [REALLY scary] change Dvd's open/close various media programs etc - I have not taught him any of this [I did show him how to use the mouse when he was younger - boy was that a mistake!] I am fully confident that pretty soon he's going to turn round and tell me I'm an idiot because he can to his homework better than I can!

I suppose I have an opposite problem, my kids LOVE being outdoors in ANY type of weather, quite frequently it's a job to get them back IN! Although I did take my 2 boys camping for the 1st time awhile back, fine until it was late & they were waking up in strange surroundings, one wanted to go home the other threw up over nearly everything in the tent [therefore it was only a 1 nighter]. Rained constantly and it was very difficult to keep them quiet at 5.00 am in a 2 man tent, so I was at the play park [in the rain] by 5.30...

It does make me sad when I see kids told to put stuff down because it's too dirt/dangerous etc. Although I do have to constantly tell my kids not to do stuff because it IS really dangerous [unfortuntley they have very little fear - of anything] and may result to a trip to casualty - they have enough cuts/brusies/grazes from just doing mildly silly things that if a social worker saw them I'm pretty sure they'd think they're beaten and take them off my hands!

My parents were/ are fairly outdoorsy, more so in their youth. I was never actively taught about outdoorsy stuff by them, but was taken out alot. Both of them were educated to University level, and had my brother and me fairly late in life. Both my brother and I [althought not very academic] went to University.

I can't re-wire my house, do any plumbing, fix a car/engine/pump or do anything remotley mechanical [I would love to be-able to and thereby not be reliant of over priced 'speciallists' to do it for me] but then thats what the divison of labour is for.

Well that was a bit of a longer post than I'd intended, well done for all those that actually bother to read it all the way through...

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
find a film IDIOCRACY its a bad z class movie but home truths about how human evolution is working

I've got a copy of that. It's an absolute classic and soooo true. Also try reading Blind Faith by Ben Elton. It is so much the way things are going. (He says posting on a forum. Oh the irony).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE