When......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
very sad to see, makes me feel really quite lucky. My parents are very supportive of what I want to do and even funded my
woodlore fundy course, for which I am very grateful. In spite of this I am often met with complaints of smelling of smoke and
being dirty after doing some bushy activities. They don't really understand my interest in nature, in spite of its depth. I guess I owe my inspiration to Mr. Mears, I think watching his programs really got me outside more and gave a purpose to get outside.
It's such a shame that boy's parents didn't show more interest, I'm 17 and I can find things out for myself and encourage
myself to find out more and it's almost by a stroke of luck that the bushcraft seed was planted just about a year ago, but when you're that young, you need inspiration and direction, these things being what his parents could have given him and that he may never find again. So sad.

outdoorpaddy

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
just the way it is now TBH, but it is still very sad to see and hear.....

chances are if you had gone over the dad would have kicked off and a fight broken out, as you say for being some sort of perv of weardo.....there is always a chance of getting stabbed now adays too, a very real threat from the younger people, even parents of today....

i will say though not all younger people and parents are like that though.....

i think the biggest problem is children bringing up children, how can life exsperiance be taught if you have none, appart from Xbox and a part time job in Tesco if at all.....

rant over.... i will get me coat....;)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Well I have high hopes for SWMBO's niece, still less than 3 months old and has already been to her first Land Rover rally and Scout Fellowship camp. As for my nephews, well not much hope there. They are being trained by me on firelighting. Another generation lost from I'm afraid.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
There is hope though.

My son has just been accepted onto the Mendip Hills Young Rangers programme ( here ). 2 years of outdoor appreciation, geology, 1st aid, navigation, wildlife appreciation and the odd bit of conservation work thrown in for good measure. The programme was quite heavily over-applied for, and 15 kids were chosen, so he is both excited and proud of the achievement of being picked for the group.

I suppose as long as this sort of thing happens, along with those of us involved in Scouting etc, then we shouldn't lose all hope for future generations.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
My childhood was much like that. My parents were extremely un-outdoorsy. I'm now a self employed gardener and outdoor activities instructor, did a degree in Rural Resource Management and aside from bushcraft my hobbies include mountaineering, canoeing, mountain biking, fishing and bee keeping. So if it is really inside you I think it will find it's way out anyway.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I think the problem is a lot of townies never venture out of there comfort zone with the convenience of Urban life. Prime example would be my wife. I grew up in the countryside as a kid so was always around farms animals and the countryside yet my wife has always lived in Cities and never seen many REAL farm animals which I only found out after we went to Lulworth castle and said to her what was the best bit about it the House or gardens or chapel?

Her reply “Feeding the goat!” Since she had never been that close to farm animals before.

Must admit today’s society seems to be of the idiot generation that expects everything including nature to be delivered in a nice package to them so they don’t need to venture out from there convenient pre packaged lives. Problem with the kid’s parent and sister taking no interest in the bug he had caught will probably make him turn the opposite way and start killing bugs thinking they are worthless due to his parent’s denial to show an interest in it. (Sorry Rant over for now)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Its not just about the nature side of things. Too few parents do anything to educate their kids, leaving school to do it all. My wifes Mum friends are all well educated and even they do very little to teach their young kids anything.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Its not just about the nature side of things. Too few parents do anything to educate their kids, leaving school to do it all. My wifes Mum friends are all well educated and even they do very little to teach their young kids anything.

Hear that loud and clear.

Over this Solstice we took are kids to the Jorvik centre in York, as we left the ride we meet a group of school kid on a trip. The guide held up an object and asked what it was.. "Its a boat" "its a bit of wood" "is it a dragon" my eldest (8) looked up at me and said "Dad its a jaw bone how cant they see that? its got teeth on it!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
It never ceases to amaze me, the ignorance of some parents. Why take the child to the forest if it's not to see and interact and learn with wonder at the natural world and the flora and fauna in it.

start em young and try and keep up with correcting the things schooling gets wrong

Baby1.gif

P3160032.jpg

hgard1.jpg

if they pick up any vices make sure they are fixed to a work bench :D

hollywksp.jpg

course its Legal Ocifer its pink

Dsc_4253.jpg

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
can't say i'm a sociologist or owt but i am truly happy that my parents were happy to shove me out the house. as a result i ended up in the woods/pasture, the point i'm trying to make is that - what legroom kids have these days is poisoned by DS's, 360's and PS3's, add to that a cossetting school/societal structure i think future generations may be in danger of not being able to fry an egg.
my two pennath.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm with harvestman on this one to many people say "ergh kill it quick"whereas I tend to pick them up & put them out side.
Had mt grandson over the other day and there was a bluebottle flying around and he went hysterical screaming and running about.
I had to calm him down and then explain that he was millions times bigger and that the fly did not or could not hurt him.
I'm going to take him for a walk to the woods to try and educate him on insects and stuff.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... i think future generations may be in danger of not being able to fry an egg.

It's already a serious worry to a lot of companies that they're losing skills as people retire but they're unable to replace them.

I think by the time we've dug ourselves out of this debt mountain, the next little problem will be skills shortages all round. Nobody will know how to make anything, how to operate anything, how to diagnose anything. A truly scary scenario in twenty or thirty years.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
For my eldest 6th birthday party we're not getting a magician. Were getting in some animals. We found a company that let's the kids get hands on with:
Blue tongued sinks
Bearded dragons
Python
Albino hedgehogs
And tarantulas amongst other things.

All his class mates are very excited, some of the parents are a bit put off though (snakes and spiders).

So, doing my bit to redress the balance!

You can see that now in some garage's if they cant plug your car in to a computer it cant be fixed? Aye its a worry

yes its a big problem in many ways

i wanted to get the dip lights perm ON on my volvo turned off so i can use my brain to decide and have them off when im on tracks and farm land (its an off road version) etc

But not only does it cost £40 but the dealer has to plug into his puter and the change uploaded from Volvo Sweden directly with a stern warning to let your insurance know as it may effect it .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE