When`s low tide ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Maybe one for the SOTP boys but ...

Is there somewhere online I can find out when the low tide is for a certain area of UK coast? When we go to Scotland for our 4 dayer in a couple of weeks I want to try and arrive at campsite 1 at low tide for some seafood foraging.
If there is how far forward does the forecast go ??

ta

Rich

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
With tide tables at this time of year, well until the 26th Oct anyway, you have to add on an hour for BST not take it away!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Its a good idea to know these things in my job working on a major oil shipping jetty especially with crude tankers!;)

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
If you arrive at low water you will have limited time before the tide pushes you back in, plan to arrive some time after high water follow the tide out making note of the high ground and how gutters empty. Watch for sign's of the turning tide such a scum on the water movement of crows off the tide line and the smell of fresh salt, when the tide turns unless you know the mudflats and saltings get off using the high ground you identified on the way out.

Happy foraging, Pothunter.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
So it looks like low tide is going to be around 11 a.m which means we`ve got to be setting off from Yorkshire around 4:30 - 5 a.m. :eek:

I think we might be catching it on the second day

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I agree with Pothunter, it will give you a good 6hrs then to follow the tide before it turns, although in the last 1/2 hr to an hour the tide goes flat which is the signal that it will soon be on the turn. I would aim to head back for shore at this point, especially if you don't no the area very well.
Spring tides (the big tides) will allow you more access to the area but when they turn they can be quite fast for the first 2-3 hours so you have to be careful.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
So it looks like low tide is going to be around 11 a.m which means we`ve got to be setting off from Yorkshire around 4:30 - 5 a.m. :eek:

I think we might be catching it on the second day

Have you taken into account the clocks going back on Friday! So therefore you can read the time straight from the tide table booklet you have without altering them!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I agree with Pothunter, it will give you a good 6hrs then to follow the tide before it turns, although in the last 1/2 hr to an hour the tide goes flat which is the signal that it will soon be on the turn. I would aim to head back for shore at this point, especially if you don't no the area very well.
Spring tides (the big tides) will allow you more access to the area but when they turn they can be quite fast for the first 2-3 hours so you have to be careful.

Thanks Greg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you taken into account the clocks going back on Friday! So therefore you can read the time straight from the tide table booklet you have without altering them!

Not until next month though Greg, 26th of Octbober I thought.

Hopefully I should be back by then, unless I go all Dick Pronneke and build myself a cabin somewhere.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I find the Quicktide tide table to be quite good the one i have at the moment goes to 2009and covers the whole of the north of England and Scotland www.quicktide.co.uk I will be making good use of it this week,of to the North west coast of Scotland on wedensday for 4 days:) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE