When is a scandi not a scandi?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Answer... When I've made it! I'm really not a fan of the scandi grind but I do like the silouettes. Here's a 4" edge quenched whittler made from a mower blade with a linen micarta bolster and dyed beech handle. The beech is dyed with shoe dye and is epoxied on and then held with a captive brass pin that was capped in with beech plugs.

2009_0619Image0004.jpg

2009_0619Image0001.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Nice little knife Luke! What I like about your knives is that they are always individual with their own personality.:You_Rock_

What sort of mower blades do you use, if I may ask? the flymo type of blade? I never thought the metal was anything better than tin can quality!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I really hate doing leatherwork. This was intended as a craft knife rather than a belt knife, so will go in my tool roll.
Jojo, it's from a rotary mower blade, it was around 10-12" long, 3" wide and a couple of mm thick. I found it when I was clearing out at work, it'd gone a bit rusty so it was going to be chucked out. It was from a good quality company (though I forget the name). I quench tested it and it hardened ok so I went ahead and used it. Apparently they are often 1080 to 1095. I got a nice quenchline when I edge-quenched it. I've had luck with steel salvaged from cylinder mowers too, just need a bit more straightening.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE