What's your favourite multi tool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Recently I was given a leatherman Core by my girlfriend, best present i've ever had!

I think it's superb because it's so rugged and I wanted something I could use for years and eventually take into the army! The full metal construction gives it a bomb proof feel and the best feature is the decent sized bevel on the knife. It means you can sharpen it on a normal waterstone without pulling your hair out! The only con I would say is the price, which it is definitely worth, but it is a lot of money!

So what's your favorite multi tool show us, and tell us what's good about it!

ps http://www.philipmorris.uk.com/product/Leatherman-Core-Multi-Tool

Edit: Have remembered the only other slightly annoying thing is the lack of a really small screwdriver, or the ability to attach one!

Last edited:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i have a leatherman juce, don't remember the model number but it had the most tools in its range.
i got it when i was 11 and used it for EVERYTHING then a couple of years later i discovered a mora knife and have barely used it since. it sat at the bottom of my work bag (gets a beating) then i found it with half the springs broken:eek:

i can't help but think that it wouldn't be broken if the springs where made of something sensable rather than stainless steel. same goes for the blades, over hardened stainless blades are pretty crap at best:eek:

pete

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
My Bahco multi-tool works okay. Tools are adequate for most tasks, I've even cut light welded chain with the wire cutters but that was a little rough on the hands. Blades are a little substandard but for under £10 does the job just fine. I usually have a decent blade on me, which allows me to use the Bahco blade as an 'abuser' -- for cutting cans and the like.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't carry one for bushcraft as I don't see the point but I have a couple I use for work most days. Not sure what model they are but they're old with pliers, knife blade, file, screwdrivers, scissors and a bottle opener.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hands down Leatherman Wave. The Victorinox series are without doubt superb. But they are just to big and heavy for me, so I found I was leaving them at home more and more, which is quite pointless.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
leatherman wave(for work) or charge(for best!)

what he said!

so far I have two waves (one pre 2005 model, one newer) one surge (it's like a sword with a hinge!!!) a charge (you never know who will meet so you should always try to look smart....) and a skeletool (just coz it's lighter and I got a good deal from eBay before they stopped doing knives)

I could stop if I wanted to......

F

ferretfeller

ive been through 3-4 now, at the moment i just have 2 cheap fat face ones, they work ok, but the knives dont sharpen up that well, plus the steel is soft, and can bend if you squeeze the plyers to hard or try and cut heavy gauge wire.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
My dad had one of the leathermans that he got around 2000 I guess. I didn't think that much of it, although i knew it was good.In the last couple of years i think the build quality has just gone up so much, the core is so rugged it's un real!

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
leatherman wave(for work) or charge(for best!)

what he said!

so far I have two waves (one pre 2005 model, one newer) one surge (it's like a sword with a hinge!!!) a charge (you never know who will meet so you should always try to look smart....) and a skeletool (just coz it's lighter and I got a good deal from eBay before they stopped doing knives)

I could stop if I wanted to......

I also have a charge! were we parted at birth? you think like me. a very intelligent man!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
leatherman core, I managed to break my old leatherman sawblade after about 13yrs use and the company replaced it with a core under their guarantee. Very happy with their service and with the product.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Whilst I carry an original Leatherman Supertool, Crunch and Micra, together with a SAK Swiss Champ, my personal, favorite multitool is the Swiss Champ.

Having carried various models of Swiss Champ over the last 34 years, I've done more, and continue to do so, with this tool.
happy0034.gif

Couple of days ago I forgot my Parker Jotter, so used the ball point pen in the S.C. I love this model and for its size and capability, believe that it is unsurpassed.

I feel that way about the Supertool, Crunch and Micra too!
happy0054.gif

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I have absolutely no luck with Leathermans. They keep falling apart on me regardless of the model.. Supertools. Juices, Charge TI's etc... Leatherman's warranty and C/S are very good however and I've now returned so many of them, last time Leatherman after a bit of a 'discussion' gave me 2 Charges one to use and then one to use when the other one is being sorted out (after it inevitably falls apart) under warranty..

I'd disagree with the statement that Leatherman's quality has gotten better it took me quite a while to break my first super tool all the others have fallen apart more quickly with a pretty similar use pattern...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE