What's your every day pocket knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
clcuckow said:
Hi All,

I thought I would kick off this thread on what is your every day, shove it in your pocket, town, office, knife and what you think is the best.

I will start it off this an Carbon Opinel No. 9. It hold a great edge and its round beech handle is very comfortable to use. It is great for casting spark from a firestick, has a very simple, reliable locking mechanism and it's blade looks about 3" the legal blade length for an in the street pocket knife in the UK. They are also very cheap mine only cost me a couple of quid from a french market.

And to plagiarise this web site:

'The oldest question asked by outdoors folk is ‘what’s the best survival knife?’ And the oldest reply is "The one you have with you."'

Christopher

The Opinel is a fairly nice, simple knife. I have gone back to my old Number 8, since I finished it...

As the knives leave the factory, the locking mechanism does not lock the blade closed, and after a couple of years, the pivot gets slack and the knife can open in your pocket.

If you're lucky, it just cuts a hole in your pocket.

If you're unlicky, it either sticks in your thigh, or you put your hand in your pocket, and get 1/2" of pointy steel under your fingernail.:cry:

I also have a Number 12; these models have the modified locking ring, so the problem doesn't arise.

I think you should measure the blade on your Number 9. My Number 8 has an 85mm blade, a tad ofer 3.1/4"...

Keith.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Your right Keith, just whipped out my ruler and it's 3 1/2" so it illegal on length as well.

I must be the only man that says something is actually small that it actually is ;-)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
clcuckow said:
Your right Keith, just whipped out my ruler and it's 3 1/2" so it illegal on length as well.

I must be the only man that says something is actually small that it actually is ;-)

just a point of clarity...

In the 1988 CJA, s 139, ss 2&3...
139.—(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife.

(3) This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.

The important phrase is "cutting edge" this can be taken literally to mean cutting edge. In other words, you measure from the place near the handle, where the blade first goes sharp, to the tip.

Areas of blunt ricasso aren't included. This is impoortant as some folders have 1/2" or more of blunt ricasso.

The pic below illustrates the right way to measure blade length.

edge.jpg

HTH. :wink:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
the newer opinels do have a ramp at the bottom of the virobloc locking ring, so you can now lock the knife closed too.

cheers, and

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Hm, I wonder where my Schrade Simon SS1 falls in matters of legality. It's certainly short enough, the blade being only a couple of inches, but it is possible to lock it open. However, it's not automatic. Open the blade and it can be closed without manipulating any sort of lock or lever, but the blade can be locked (somewhat insecurely) when open by flexing part of the knife handle, which then wedges behind the blade and holds it in an open position. Grey areas everywhere, although I can't say that I have any particular worries carrying this knife because it looks about as offensive as a Biro.

Rather more worrying is the British Army penknife I used to use at work a lot, mainly because it's pretty robust and I shan't be heartbroken if it takes a serious beating. The blade's fine, a non-locking folder within the length limit, but I get nervous about that damn great marlin spike on the back!

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
interesting points. i used to carry my opinel all the time, not so much now. but its locking feature was always of interest, as you had to engage it. most lock knives the lock is automatic, it just clicks into place. with the opinel i'd have thought that if for some reason you got pulled, and had to turn out your pockets, they had a look at the knife, opened the blade, and then closed the blade. they would probably never know it lokced unless they had too much free time and were just playing arround, or they knew about opinels.
just a thought.
i carry an old stainless army folder at the moment, sheepsfoot balde and a tin/bottle opener. slip joint, but the spring is quite strong. got it sharp to, almost sliced the tip off me finger with the other day :-(
sc

chad234

Oct 25, 2003
Detroit, Michigan, USA
Blademan13 from the other forums. I don't think he is taking orders for SAK scales right now, as he has another (huge) project he is working on, but when he has time he is the man to see. Excellent workmanship.

chad234

Oct 25, 2003
Detroit, Michigan, USA
Sargey,
I am sure it will be well worth the wait!! I am anxious to get mine too. IIRC you got a stinless one right? S30V and Micarta maybe?

I went with forged 01 tapered tang and the scales will be maple to match that SAK.

The pics over on TLT of the other OSF knives is killing me. BAHDOG did such an awesome job on his, as did Hoodoo, and Blademan just came through with the V man's.

It will be woth the wait, that is for sure.

Well, since everyone else is thinking we're nuts, here are some other knives Jamie (Blademan) has done up for me:

A one handed SAK with the blade convex ground, thick micarta scales, and a pocket clip added.

zsak%20003.jpg

Pictures removed due to size . . . .

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

An SAK (Outrider or Huntsman) I believe that if an SAK is too thick (more than 4 layers) it will be uncomfortable to handle.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Spyderco Endura (yes I do have a good reason!) Leatherman Micra & Swiss Card -- no wonder my handbag weighs so much! :roll:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Now my "don't leave home without it" knife if my Ingram pocket wharncliffe.

Schwert_PWharnNG.jpg

and if I am wearing my infamous vest I will also have my small Sebenza.

274822-Sebenza.jpg

I tend to switch around a fair amount, but the Sebenza has ridden in my vest since its first day and I doubt if it will ever be replaced. I sometimes wear my Ingram SLK instead of taking the pocket wharncliffe.

I also rotate in a SAK camper many times.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Stainless Frosts in the side pocket of my work trousers.
SAK - Swisschamp
A folder - What ever my latest folder is or a favourite like my Kershaw Blackout (one of my favourite knives).

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I've been carrying my new Benchmade RSK lately paired up with my ever present PSK. California has suprisingly liberal carry laws for folders. Any length is legal if the blade mechanism tends to return to the closed position. In other words, as I pull my RSK, start to open it with the ambidextrous thumbstuds there is a easily felt inertia back to closed. A split second later I am flicking it into a locked position faster than a Teddy Boy's Eyetalian switchblade. This in a state where straight razors, Filipino Butterfly knives, gravity knives and the aforementioned switchblades are felony carries. I do not hold with packing enough rounds to waste the Four Horseman, Middle Earth Ringwraiths , fruedian nightmare Lions, Tigers and Bears OH MY! Hilary Clinton or anything else that goes bump in the night that our gun culture lives in mortal fear of. My SMLE has a butterfly cocoon in the breach. Like a good bushcrafter, I have my field guide on top of the ammo box waiting for the day of emergence.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE