Whats your Bush Camera?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a Fujifilm Finepix HS20exr
This is a bridge camera with a manual 30x zoom lens and an equivalent 35mm focal range of 24mm to 720mm
Pretty much does everything I need without stepping upto a full DSLR.

Switch

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Scotland
I've still been lugging my dslr into the bush although the most recent trip may well be the last with it. It's just too heavy. I only took a small 50mm and a wide angle 17-35mm and combined with the small bag and battery it came to 3kg. The 3kg is something I will need to cut out in future as my pack was killing me with everything else as well. There's also the paranoia of something happening to it as well. For trips until now I've been using a Nikon D800 with Nikon 17-35mm, 50mm and 80-200mm f2.8. Luckily the 80-200mm is a backup to my 70-200mm so I don't mind if something bad befalls it.....again.

I'm definitely on the look out for something for the bush that will be quick at hand, even with a large pack on, and not too bad in low light. I'd rather go for a compact or something with a fixed lens though. Unfortunately I can't justify the price of the Sony RX100 although it does tick all the boxes. I'll keep an eye on the thread for possible cheaper alternatives though.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I began with a Nikon D700/D300 and 24-70, 70-200 lenses but quickly tired of lugging that kit any distance.
Then opted for my Fuji F-31D (a great low light compact), moved to a Micro 4/3rds Olympus EPL-3 but this was absolute pants for video as it picked up masses of noise from the lens motor so got shot of it within 2 weeks and settled for a Panasonic G3.
Job Done!

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
When I'm not out doing bushy stuff, I love the Fujifilm X Pro-1, gives incredible low-light results. However, it's not weather sealed and there's no way I'd take it into the woods - for that I carry the Sony RX-100, which is similarly awesome in low light.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I used to carry a compact, usually a Pentax Optio of some variety, but just couldn't take the pictures that I wanted, so I've now got a DSLR a Canon EOS 1100D, with telemacro lens, and I can finally take the sort of pictures that I've always wanted to, so the bulk is worth it.
8794681214_92967bb125_b.jpg

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I used to lug all that pro gear about but just got sick of it in the end! Some years ago I bought a Panasonic LX-3, fantastic little camera. I use it for everything as, now, its my only camera. What sold it to me was the one word on the front of the lens, LEICA!

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
I own a Nikon D700 DSLR, with several lenses but I find it too unwieldy/fragile for the bush.

Yeah, I very seldom take my D700 out on outdoorsy trips because it's too damned hefty to carry any distance - especially with anything other than a 35 or 50mm on the front. My regular sling-it-inna-bag camera is my Fuji X10 and it's a jolly competent little compact.

But I'm wondering about whether I can justify an X100s...

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia

vek007

Feb 24, 2013
south yorkshire
lumix compact for me,like others ive humped around everything from 6x7 pentax thru slr but got fed up with their bulk.more than happy with the lumix.
P1030103.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What's the difference between a 'bush' camera and an ordinary camera? Rugged case for when your tramping in the Bush/Veldt, Arctic and the UK?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thank you Dave! Unfortunately the photo is from last year, so I don´t think I´m allowed to enter it.
I'm glad you mentioned that as neither was mine!:D

What's the difference between a 'bush' camera and an ordinary camera? Rugged case for when your tramping in the Bush/Veldt, Arctic and the UK?
No idea rik. I stole the title from a thread on bcusa :cool:

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
For me the bushcamera is the one I take with me all the time. Mine is small and robust, but has its limitations. But most of the time it is more than suitable for taking pics of a walk, or anything I want to share.

I have a good camera with several lenses, and I love to use it, but most of the time photography isn't my main motivation when I go out, so the heavy stuff stays at home!

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
canon eos400d with a variety of lenses for serious photography, looking to upgrade to the 7d soon though. I use my phone (Nokia Lumia 925) for day to day pictures

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE