what's this tree?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
If you could get some more pics of the leaves and fruits Bob it might be a bit clearer, would be good to see if the leaves have rounded teeth at the base of the leaflets.
I your pics the fruits look very similar to those of the Tree of heaven, also it looks like there are the remains from the remaining flower stalks, in your pic look white ish.

Last edited:

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
seed pods just look very Tree of Heaven-y; although the leaves do look like Maple-Ash.....

hmmmm

a pickling puzzle....

I agree! but box elder usually have charecteristic sprouting from the bole

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
The pic showing the single leaf, looks a bit like a service tree, but as others have spotted it could also be the Tree of Heaven by thr fruit pods we can see, would be good to see a complete leaf, as the bottom of the T of H kicks out abit. Look forward to the closer pics

Basha

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Without looking at the links or any books, The Alianthus altissima at our college and this was in 96, had rearly big leaves as long as your arm, with the leaflets long and thin, several inches long.
The leaves do have a Acer negundo look about them. But ive forgotten most of the non natives as I dont have much to do with them these days.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Went down and took some more photos tonight:

leaves.jpg

keysv.jpg

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
hmm im still for that being an ash of some variety. cant really see anything un-ash-like about it, apart from the redness.

tis a confuzzling tree that one.

TJ

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
leaf's Still look like tree of Heaven, the only difference i can see from my ref is that the tree of heaven as a double header leader leaf rather than the ash which as the single leader

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
would an Arbourist help bush ed,

It's a Tree of Heaven ( Ailanthus altissima ) the little fruit or keys give it away with the colour. from north China..bark is smooth and grey in colour with stripes. see as a weed as it spreads well.

treelore...it's in the name ; )

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
would an Arbourist help bush ed,

It's a Tree of Heaven ( Ailanthus altissima ) the little fruit or keys give it away with the colour. from north China..bark is smooth and grey in colour with stripes. see as a weed as it spreads well.

treelore...it's in the name ; )

So, is this the definitive answer then?

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
It is a tree of Heaven The fruits are the same, they have a single seed in the centre meaning that this is a female, but its the leaves that do it for me tree of heaven has the rounded teeth at the base of the leaflets, Ash dont have these at the base of their leaves.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE